Director, Surgical Services
Director of Surgical Services is responsible for ensuring successful day to day operations including operational efficiency, quality and safety. This Director will lead and facilitate key systems vital to operations including clinical operations, fiscal management, staffing, clinic flow, population health quality improvement, patient experience, and mployee engagement.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Clinical Practice:
· Implementation of Standards of Care and Practice in patient care areas.
· Direction and coordination of a selected delivery system of patient care.
· Provision of support to patients and their families.
· Incorporation of regulatory requirements into operations and patient care.
· Demonstration of sensitivity to ethical and legal ramifications of clinical practice in the acute care setting.
· Delineation of needed knowledge, skills, and competencies of clinical staff and provision of staff development.
· Incorporation of current research, new interventions, and technological advances into clinical practice.
· Implementation of ongoing performance improvement activities.
- 2. PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT:
· Interviewing applicants and hiring qualified staff.
· Staffing unit(s) to ensure 24-hour coverage appropriate to patient care needs.
· Facilitating staff input into decisions affecting clinical practice.
· Identifying and planning for development needs of staff.
· Providing appropriate timely information to staff as a basis for sound decision-making.
· Conduct timely and periodic performance appraisals based on pre-established standards, and following up appropriately.
· Disciplinary activities related to individual staff as delineated in institutional policy and procedure.
· Demonstrating knowledge of labor law applicable to the institution.
- 3. FISCAL MANAGEMENT:
· Establishment of a valid statistical database for budgetary decision making.
· Facilitation of the development of realistic annual budget that may include revenue, personnel, supplies, and capital equipment allocation.
· Establishment of accurate productivity measures.
· Regular review and exploration of budgetary variances to assure appropriate use of resources.
· Promotion of cost effective unit operations.
· Anticipation of the impact of institutional financial status on unit operations.
- 4. ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT:
· Development, implementation, and evaluation of service goals in concert with organizational strategic plan and institutional goals.
· Implementation and maintenance of structure standards for patient care areas.
· Establishment of effective communication channels to assure coordinated patient care.
· Promotion of a collaborative practice with other health care disciplines and medical staff to assure an integrated approach to care of the patient.
· Implementation of a risk management program to prevent, minimize, or correct risks to patients and staff based on institutional policy and procedure.
- 5. PROVIDES CONSULTATION:
· Other divisions within the network.
- 6. COMMITTEE PARTICIPATION:
- Member of, or chairs committees or groups appropriate to areas of responsibility:
- Clinical Services Nursing Executive Committee
- Senior Management Group
- Management Group
- Directors Group
- Surgical Services Leadership Group
- Clinical Services Core
- Clinical Ladder Committee
- Performance Improvement Coordinating Committee
- Infection Control Committee
- Anesthesia Care Evaluation Committee
- Surgical Care Evaluation Committee
- Cardiac Surgery Care Evaluation Committee
- Materials Task Force
- Research Committee
- Operating Room Committee
- Procedure Based Delivery System Oversight Committee
- Surgical Block Time Allocation Oversight Committee
- North Surgery Center Policy and Procedure Committee
- Northeast Surgery Center Policy and Procedure Committee
- JCAHO Leadership Committee
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assumes other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the COO/CNO.
2. Enables a corporate/regional culture based in the values of SJH and the Trinity Health System, which fosters learning, development of associates, empowerment innovation, and quality of work life.
3. Promotes SJH mission and philosophy as an organizational representative in various internal and external activities and special projects.
4. Maintains confidentiality in all situations involving SJH, customers and stakeholders.
5. Responsible for compliance with Organizational Integrity through raising questions and promptly/transparently reporting actual or potential wrongdoing.
6. Participates in and coordinates with organizational process to collect and evaluate information about hazards and safely practices that are used to identify safety management issues. Adheres to established policies and procedures, which may include wearing of personal protective equipment.
7. Participates in and fosters a performance improvement approach that includes intradepartmental, interdepartmental, and regional activities.
8. Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State and local laws and regulations, Trinity Health's Organizational Integrity Program, Standards of Conduct, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behavior.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND CERTIFICATION/LICENSURE
1. Licensed registered nurse in the State of NY or eligibility for transfer of licensure to the State of New York as a registered nurse.
2. BSN required. Masters Degree required, MSN preferred.
3. Seven years progressive nursing leadership experience required.
4. Demonstrated strategic development, operational skills, and effectiveness in leading change.
5. Evidence of effective interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
6. Evidence of ability to effectively develop and coach multidisciplinary teams. Preferred completion of leadership training courses such as Crucial Conversations and Just Culture or completion within six months of hire.
7. Experience in program development, service line management desired.
8. Knowledge of relevant legislative and regulatory requirements in relevant field.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- 1. Possess an orientation towards service excellence, cost effectiveness, and continuous quality improvement through leadership and support to the overall Mission, Vision and Values of SJH.
- 2. Must be able to adapt to frequently changing work priorities and be able to prioritize and balance the requirements of working within and throughout the system.
3. Must be able to effectively analyze, communicate, and respond.