The Director of Supply Chain Planning and Logistics is a key role to support Kennametal’s strategic objective of profitable growth by ensuring that the supply chain is positioned to fulfill customer demand as required, plant assets are operating efficiently while optimizing inventory levels and costs to deliver.
One of the key responsibilities of this role is driving and maturing the Sales and Operations Planning (S&OP) process globally, collaborating with commercial and manufacturing leaders, ensuring supply chain network and design is aligned to executing global strategy. This role will provide functional leadership to the site planning managers through standardized processes, tools, metrics, and training that drives on-time delivery and fill-rate performance while optimizing costs and working capital. In addition, this role directly manages the Kennametal and 3PL owned distribution sites, freight, and transportation network to deliver world-class logistics costs and customer service strategy.
The Director of Supply Chain Planning and Logistics reporting directly to the VP of Advanced Integrated Manufacturing Systems will develop a high performing organization by developing talent, world-class processes, and systems. This leadership role will develop the strategic roadmap to mature the supply chain planning and logistics elements to integrate seamlessly into the smart factory ecosystem.
- Sales & Operations Planning: Improve and develop S&OP process for Kennametal business segments to enable them to meet strategic objectives related to customer order fulfillment, asset utilization, growth, and working capital management. Lead a global team to monitor sales and evaluate trends in order to appropriately modify planning requirements to meet demands and minimize obsolescence
- Logistics Management: Manage and develop distribution center network to align with customer end markets such that they are located to meet and or exceed market requirements. Drive 3PL logistics partners to deliver continuous productivity and quality improvements. Execute logistics costs within budget. Manage relationship with key freight and 3PL partners and help to develop long-term freight strategy.
- Inventory Management: Drive Inventory Management system to maintain and optimize inventory to support sales and growth.
- Leadership: Lead in the development of a culture, and supporting systems, to drive open communication, participation, and idea-sharing in order to build an engaged team; advance and model Kennametal values and leadership commitments; assure the highest levels of compliance and integrity are evident in all interactions
- Performance Management: Manage key business metrics including on-time delivery, fill-rate, inventory levels, Forecast accuracy, and contract deliverables. Manage material master data group.
- Technology: Partner with IT and Manufacturing to enhance processes through the utilization and implementation of improved IT solutions
- Talent Development: Manage a team of 5 to 6 direct reports with a total of 150+ team members and 3PLs located globally. Build high performing teams by setting high standards of performance for self and others and driving accountability for results
- Continuous Improvement: Champion the Kennametal Operating System to drive continuous improvement mindset by leveraging Kennametal Operating System fundamentals and Cultural Beliefs
- Change Management: Respond proactively and positively to change, embracing and using new practices or values to accomplish goals and solve problems
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- 15 plus years in progressive supply chain, logistics, and operations roles.
- Experience of leading SOP process for multi-site/international supply chain
- Good knowledge of advanced planning systems within operational environment.
- Experience of managing distribution centers.
- Able to demonstrate having made significant changes to supply chain processes
- Understanding of freight contracts.
- Strong Executive communication skills
- Demonstrate change management skills and have the courage to take bold steps.
- Overall knowledge of supply design particularly for discrete manufacturing and preferably for high mix environment
- Strong data analytics skills/experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain Management or relevant degree, Masters's degree preferred.
- Good understanding of financial processes and impact on the Supply Chain.
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking, and decision-making ability
- Ability to think strategically and execute tactically with a bias for action