Agios Pharmaceuticals is seeking an experienced, highly skilled drug-design structural biologist to join a high-performance biochemistry and structural biology team at Agios Pharmaceuticals. The successful candidate will provide vision for the structural biology function and be involved in all aspects of structural biology to impact discovery of novel medicines in Genetically Defined Diseases. The primary technical responsibilities will be structural bioinformatics, protein engineering, and X-ray structure refinement, and work collaboratively with computational chemistry team to support rationale-design SBDD.
- Director-level scientist with the ability to lead a multitude of efforts in parallel, each with the goal of delivering novel and/or iterative protein structures for optimizing small molecule drug design.
- Protein engineering using rational design, fusion proteins, loop deletions, surface entropy reduction and mutagenesis
- Utilize structural bioinformatics to analyze proteins via structure prediction, analysis of binding interactions, protein family differences based on mechanistic functions
- Devise and implement experiments to develop robust protocols to generate iterative co-complex structures
- Perform structural refinement with in-depth understanding of drug-protein interactions and articulate clearly detailed findings to computational and medicinal chemists
- Advance capabilities in cryo-EM structural solutions
- Manage multiple teams of external CRO scientists
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams to achieve objectives and timelines
- PhD in biological sciences (structural biology, mechanistic enzymology, molecular biophysics, bioinformatics)
- Must have at least 5+ years of relevant drug-design pharmaceutical experience
- Experience in structural bioinformatics, structural biology, or structural genomics is required.
- Proficiency in protein engineering, construct design and optimization is required
- Excellent communication, planning, organizational skills to manage external CRO partners and internal matrix collaborations are essential.
- Self-motivated individuals with the ability to thrive in a team-oriented setting in a fast-paced drug discovery environment desired
- Familiarity with cryo-EM solution techniques
- Strong leadership skills with demonstrated ability to collaborate and influence cross-functionally