When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
How will you make an impact?
The Director of Strategy & Portfolio Management will support the Biosciences Division (BID) long-term strategy development by providing strategic thought leadership and portfolio management to define investment priorities. The Director will work collaboratively with colleagues across BID and Thermo Fisher to plan and deliver BID’s growth vision; helping articulate the areas of focus, as well as designing bespoke strategies that enable success. The Director must have an ability to develop frameworks and solve problems across a variety of areas, each of which will have a significant impact on the long-term success of BID.
What will you do?
- Facilitate the strategic planning process for BID
- Lead the annual strategic planning process (STRAP), including developing and providing trainings, supporting material development, and ensuring coordination across the BID businesses and functions
- Provide thought leadership and material development for updates to the Board of Directors as needed
- Lead competitive analysis, drawing insights and implications for the businesses
- Identify, define, and articulate industry, market, and emerging trends and how they may affect BID businesses
- Support the analysis of market and competitive dynamics as part of M&A diligences
- Utilize project management, analytical and decision support skills to lead ‘special projects’ that advance key strategic priorities for specific opportunities
- Ensures alignment on market intelligence across BID businesses
- Collaborates with divisional market intelligence teams to build a single source of truth for market sizes and growth rates to inform strategic priorities
- Works with Corporate Strategy team to align on global market growth expectations and impacts on Annual Planning process
- Drive translation of strategy to portfolio planning and provide direction for investment priorities
- Lead a team of strategy professionals on various strategy projects, market intelligence and portfolio review
How will you get here?
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in life sciences or related field. MBA or related advanced degree desired
- 7+ years of relevant professional experience, including broad experience in strategy and market/financial analysis within a Corporate or Consulting setting; 3+ years experience at a top-tier management consulting firm preferred
- Experience working on large strategic initiatives from framing the problem, conducting research/analysis, building business and implementation plans and driving execution through to success; ability to multitask
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Strong communicator, able to convey complex ideas in a clear, concise manner both verbally and in writing, comfortable in business and technical discussions
- Effective at building relationships, collaborating, and influencing others; experience working with senior executives across various geographies and functions
- Strong team player who is also an independent thinker
- Strong analytical and financial skills (market sizing modeling or financial modeling) to work on complex business issues with minimal supervision
- Self-starter who enjoys working in a fast-paced, collaborative, and high-growth environment
- Strong talent management and people development skills