We are looking for an individual who has first-hand experience with strategic planning and developing business strategy: driving how decisions are made and how resources are invested to achieve desired outcomes and drive overall impact The ideal candidate will have outstanding strategic thinking and analytical skills and a talent for taking insights and working with internal teams to translate them into clear, actionable recommendations. In this role, you will have the unique opportunity to work with the Senior Director of Strategy and Research on top strategic initiatives that are at the forefront of the ASPCA's innovation agenda; you will collaborate with leaders across the organization to determine project scope and timing and to plan and drive the work.
You will partner with the Senior Director of Strategy and Research to develop, refine and execute the ASPCA’s organization-wide strategic and operational planning process, the outcomes of which drive the animal welfare movement forward. Additionally, you will partner with our research team to generate meaningful insights that will guide our strategies, programs and projects.
You will bring to this role a passion for thinking critically, defining and deconstructing problems, developing and executing structured approaches to problem solving, designing and facilitating efficient processes, connecting the dots between many different types of work, and gaining buy-in from cross-functional teams.
This position is full time in NYC, however flexible work arrangements may be considered.
Execute Strategic Projects (60%):
- Work with the Senior Director of Strategy and Research and Department Heads to identify strategic projects on key innovation opportunities
- Drive overall development and execution of strategic projects by gathering information, collecting and analyzing data, and developing recommendations
- Facilitate and maintain strong relationships with key department heads to uncover needs, provide thought partnership and strategic insights, and to recommend thoughtful approaches to decision making
- Identify critical business issues, risks and growth opportunities and flag as appropriate
Enable a Thorough and Efficient Strategic and Operational Planning Process (40%):
- Enable an efficient, energizing strategic planning process across the organization
- Outline our strategic planning objectives, critical tasks, and deadlines for departments
- Ensure that department heads contribute effectively to the strategic planning process, helping think through strategy from all angles -- programmatic, infrastructure, development and communications perspectives
- Partner with department heads to develop robust operating plans with clear objectives and measurable results
- Partner with our Research team to develop, conceive, execute, and analyze research to gain key insights
- Support the Senior Director of Strategy and Research in providing regular reflection points for our Executive Leadership Team to monitor and measure organization-wide and team-level progress against strategic plans
Exemplifies the ASPCA’s Core Values:
- Has Commitment and dedication to improving the lives of animals
- Demonstrates Ownership and feels responsible for outcomes
- Believes in Team – that we are stronger together
- Seeks to Elevate others and reimagine what is possible
- Focuses on Impact, specifically making change for animals
Education, Experience and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degreerequired; MBA is a plus
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in strategy consulting and/or strategic planning/corporate business strategy; experience as an analyst preferred– only candidates with direct strategy experience will be considered
- Non-profit experience is a plus
- Interest in the animal welfare space is required
Light travelto locations outside of New York (~10%) is required
Ability to manage multiple projects and meet competingdeadlines, Ability to review and synthesize information and form independent judgments, Analyzing and understanding data and how to identify implications and draw meaningful insights, Continuously improving processes, Courageously trying new things and pushingothers to do the same, Developing strategies that lead to positive results, Great attention to detail, Productively engaging and partnering with individuals at all levels and across all functional and geographic areas to elicit ideas, and helpothers do their best work, Program andproject management, and tenaciously enabling execution, Strong and structured problem-solving skills, Strong interpersonal and influencing skills, Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills, Structuring and buildingquantitative andqualitative/conceptual analyses, Thinking strategically and identifying innovation opportunities, Working at a fast pace within a dynamic and ever changinglandscape with an ability to change course as needed
Education and Work Experience:
Bachelors (Required), Masters: BusinessAdministration/Management
Our EEO Policy:
The ASPCA is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, gender, gender identity or expression, age, marital or domestic partner status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the ASPCA’s standard application process, which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on the ASPCA. Please inform the ASPCA’s People Team if you need an accommodation in order to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Individuals seeking employment are considered without regards to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, gender, gender identity or expression, age, marital or domestic partner status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.