- Lead partnership collaboratively with the leadership and program officers from the six divisions—Gender Equality, Global Development, Global Health, Global Growth & Opportunity, Global Policy & Advocacy, and the United States Programs, on identifying and securing the right kinds of investments to complement grant- making. This will also involve determining whether are recipients of investments are better-suited to be grantees.
- Lead a team of leaders in identifying, evaluating and developing global investment opportunities that align with the Foundation’s mission, particularly in the developing world.
- Lead the Investment Committee in its evaluation and discussions around new and existing investments.
Financial Investing/Deal Structure
- Directly or through management of the team lead due diligence, deal structuring, and negotiation of terms sheets, purchase and lending agreements and financing terms.
- Direct the execution of investment transactions; monitor and transparently assess the impact of those investments.
- Develop and manage relationships with intermediaries to generate increased deal flow.
- Manage the preparation of written analyses and evaluations of investment opportunities for use by senior management and Investment Committee members.
- Lead reviews and assessment of risk.
- Lead, manage, mentor and hire for the Strategic Investment Fund team.
- Participate in internal and external stakeholder meetings. Help consult to the various Gates programs to help them think through the best strategies for impact.
- Lead by example towards impact with high levels of humility, outstanding intelligence and a collaborative style focused on a highly diverse and results-driven team.
Core Knowledge and Skills
- Strong Mission-Orientation: Prior experience within a mission-related and/or impact fund sector coupled with a passion for solving global health issues and challenges, and ideally, knowledge and/or direct experience in working on solving low and middle income population issues such as infectious disease (HIV, COVID-19, Malaria, Tuberculosis), economic inequity, and environmental.
- Investor Credibility With Direct Emerging Markets Experience: An experienced investor with a demonstrated investment track record of progressively senior leadership roles within a private equity, venture or impact fund or some other investment vehicle such as a corporate fund, foundation, venture philanthropy, privately held family office or another large global organization that is committed to funding research and development. Emerging markets investment experience is a must. This person will have had broad exposure to a number of investment structures, including debt, equity, structured finance and grants and have served on an investment committee. The person will have origination/sourcing process, due diligence, investment transactions and the management of investments experience and have a demonstrated facility with fundamentals of investing, including making investments in partnership with private and/or public capital, corporations, venture philanthropy and foundations.
- Operations and People Management Experience: She/he/they will offer a demonstrated track record inspiring, motivating and empowering a talented group of professionals. Incredibly talented and dynamic, the Strategic Investment Fund team demonstrates a high level of collaboration and collegiality and prizes transparency, innovation, and inclusion. The successful candidate will have evidence developing talent.
- Relevant Domain Industry Expertise: Industry experience and a well-developed deal sourcing network within both the operating and investing communities of one or a combination of sectors where the Gates Foundation makes investments such as: Life Sciences (Drugs/Vaccines/Devices/Diagnostics), Digital Health and/or Finance, Agriculture, Healthcare, Microfinance and Education.
- Gravitas, Presence, and Emotional Intelligence: Must have demonstrated leadership with a history of strategic, operational and relationship building success within a complex, matrixed organization that operates in partnership with numerous key constituents, stakeholders and partners. This person must have the requisite influential and interpersonal leadership skills, including personal charisma and emotional intelligence in order to serve as an internal and external ambassador for the Gates Foundation in order to attract, develop, motivate and retain a diverse group of professionals.
- An abiding commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all forms.
- Specific deal experience in sub-Saharan Africa, India, and East Asia is a big plus.
- Non-profit experience is also a strong plus.
- Aptitude and experience in navigating start-up and VC world.
- Developer of networks and resources in the technical spaces in which the Foundation works.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Numerate and keen analytical sense
- Willingness to work in a complex structure to achieve mission goals.
- An ability to develop a framework to anticipate and account for all kinds of risk.
- Intellectual curiosity and a critical thinker.
- Calm under pressure
- Strong sense of integrity
- Ability and track record to say no and why.
- Ability and track record to say yes and take risks and why.
- Willingness to be part of a broader finance team.
- Confidence and gravitas to work at all levels within the Foundation.
Education and Experience
Advanced degree with 15+ years of experience, or equivalent experience.