Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
This role is a member of the Unum US senior team with the primary focus on help managing a multi-year, multi-million, strategic transformation & investment portfolio of Business & IT change initiatives. Leads the process with UUS senior management team regarding the annual UUS strategy refresh and translation into key strategic portfolio of initiatives at the tactical level. Setup and conduct quarterly portfolio evaluation and value tracking process applying rolling forecast principles for successful implementation and striving for continuous improvement.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with content development and process facilitation for annual stategy refresh with senior management team.
- Work with senior team to translate Unum US business strategy into discrete initiatives to support effective strategy execution.
- Implement defined governance processes to support the achievement of the business strategy
- Assist with the management of the portfolio governance processes and ensure alignment of the portfolio components (programs, projects and activities) to deliver significant sales and revenue growth and cost reductions within the company
- Ensure effective coordination with IT governance across the Enterprise, while delivering a clear and cohesive approach to governance for UUS
- Analyze the portfolio to ensure that proposed work aligns with strategic goals of the business
- Provide input to help prioritize programs and projects that evidence clear alignment with delivering the business strategy
- Interface with Technology management to ensure transparency of outcomes and alignment to our strategic objectives
- Evaluate project progress, publish reports and conduct review meetings to keep projects on track. Continually reprioritize and optimize the strategic portfolio based on constraints
- Partner with IT management to bring technology capabilities from the Enterprise into Unum US where those capabilities will help achieve the business strategy
- Manage complex global strategic portfolio with a diverse team that is cross-functional, multi-site and multi-discipline
- Help prepare and facilitate governance meetings
- Able to apply leadership, issue resolution, escalation, technical, coaching and team-building skills along with demonstrated project management skills
- Negotiate and resolve resource and capacity issues
- Serve as 'trusted advisor' to UUS executives
- Able to drive results personally and through others
- Undergraduate degree; Masters preferred and significant industry experience; leadership experiencerequired
- Seven to ten plus years experience in a senior-level strategic position, with business and IT leadership experience
- Established track record of managing multiple strategic projects successfully
- Effective at influencing, communicating (both verbally and written) and collaborating with business and IT leaders to gain consensus and resolve issues
- Highly developed presentation skills, able to present to varied audiences with various levels of understanding
- Strong time management skills with the ability to prioritize tasks in a high-demand environment
- Strong strategic and detailed data analysis skills with the ability to make data driven decisions and summarize effectively to support decision making by others
- Strong understanding of business, IT and regulatory environment within the US Group insurance industry
- IT experience leveraging technology to achieve business outcomes preferred
- Meets the standards for this position, as defined in the Talent Management framework.
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.