Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum'sfinancial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from thefinancial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
The Director, Stop Loss Business Development isresponsible for managing operational relationships with external partners and developing long-term strategic plans tosupportthe development of the UUS Stop Loss business. The individual will be tasked with designing, managing and executing assigned projects to develop Unum into a nationally recognized Stop Loss carrier.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Support development of Unum US’s Stop Loss strategy and strategic priorities by identifying, analyzing and addressing complex business issues and developing actionable strategies.
- Ensure alignment of Stop Loss growth initiatives and opportunities with Unum UUS overall growth strategy.
- Manage strategic initiatives, partnering with other departments, partners and/or functional heads as appropriate. Lead test of our new products / services in the marketplace.
- Prepare presentations to senior leadership and Board of Directors as needed.
- Lead and facilitate the development of clear opportunities within the US Stop Loss market that the organization can implement at a pace that will achieve the financial and business goals.
- Manage external partner relationships to ensure profitable growth of the business and facilitate development of internal product expertise.
- Continually improve internal processes to support operation of a business at scale.
- Additional responsibilities related to business development as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, MBA preferred.
- Finance experiencepreferred.
- 5+ years experience in business strategy, corporate finance, business management or consulting.
- Comfortable working at all levels in the organization from the C-suite to business unit professionals; team builder.
- Assimilate and adapt to Unum’s culture while managing change using strong influencing skills, while operating in a new/unfamiliar environment, and working effectively within a highly matrixed organization.
- Knowledge of the basic economics of financial services & business services companies.
- Focused on quick results and fast turnaround.
- Very strong problem structuring and analytical skills.
- Very strong modeling and presentation writing skills.
- Very strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Superior project management skills; strong collaborator.
- Fast paced; comfortable with tight deadlines, fast turnaround times and ambiguity.
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generouscompensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexualorientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.