- The CEI R&D Business Development (BD) team is responsible for working closely with relevant Therapeutic Area Units (TAUs) and DDUs to (i) develop a partnering strategy that supports the TAU R&D strategies (ii) identify and triage opportunities consistent with the agreed strategy and (iii) lead cross-functional due diligence teams to efficiently assess and execute on acquisition, in-licensing, collaboration and alliance opportunities across the R&D pipeline. This position is a critical function within this core team.
- Working closely with the TAU teams, a primary responsibility of the position will be to establish the BD strategy based on the external innovation needs of TAU and to lead, identify, drive and close significant BD opportunities aligned with that strategy from start to finish This position is seen as a subject matter expert.
- Identify, evaluate and transact BD opportunities that meet the strategic scientific, therapeutic and commercial needs of the organization or specific Therapeutic Area (TA)
- Act as a thought partner to the TAU head and ensure the BD strategy is aligned and supported. Challenge the TA Head to think innovately when it comes to partnering with external innovators, academics, biotechs, established pharmas
- Lead an in-house cross functional technical evaluation and due diligence efforts
- Prepare and present scientific and business rationale for any recommendations and transasctions proposals to senior management
- Negotiates on behalf of Takeda in support of in-licensing, out-licensing, co-promotions, M&A, etc.
- Performs complex analyses of a range of opportunities with significant financialinvestment in accordance with growth and profitability objectives
- Stay current and be prepared to share TAU clinical development, and industry trends to small groups, large audiences of senior leaders
- Maintain thorough knowledge of:
- Specific TAU products, platforms, targets, and therapeutic approaches
- Industry trends, regulatory, legal and commercial issues
- Takeda's R&D and Commercial processes
- Assigned TAU science and its applicability to product development
- Takeda’s portfolio, including gaps and strengths
- Establish and maintain a broad network of relationships with potential licensors worldwide; liaise effectively with other individuals in global business development and leverage the Takeda organization at large (scientists, clinicians, commercial managers in oncology and other therapeutic areas..) to ensure maximal sourcing capability for the assigned area
- Working with the CEI Therapeutic Area Leads and other key functions outside of business development, help design and implement processes for opportunity assessment and due diligence to ensure competitive superiority
- Articulate Takeda's licensing goals and practices in public forums, such as partnering meetings, speaking engagements, etc
- Be an effective ambassador for the Takeda global business development brand to ensure Takeda is perceived as a “Partner of Choice” with outside organizations, companies, etc.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Over 12+ years experience in the Pharma/Biotech industry; Prior experience in a business development capacity, including pharmaceutical/biotech R&D, pharmaceutical/biotech equity analysis, investment bankingexperience
- Experience in complex and global deal negotiations along with successful track record in deal negotiations and closures.
- Experience leading teams and proactively managing cross-functional groups, including members of senior leadership.
- Deep understanding of the drug development, approval, and commercialization processes
- MBA, or Ph.D./M.D. or equivalent degree is required; alternatively a Master’s degree in a relevant scientific discipline plus over 14 years relevant professional experience is acceptable
- Must demonstrate the scientific knowledge and gravitas to help drive internal BD strategy within the organization and hold/drive meaningful discussions externally with Pharma/Biotech executives and key opinion leaders
- A track record of success in sourcing/driving significant business development opportunities to completion in a commercial arena is highly preferred.
- Excellent understanding of processes, interfaces and interdependencies between drug development and commercialisation
- A well established business development network within the industry is strongly preferred along with a progressive knowledge of innovative alliance structures, industry trends and competitive issues related to pharmaceutical business development
- Creative, results oriented self-starter with the ability to deliver high quality deliverables on time that are appropriate for review by senior management
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills including a demonstrated ability to be effective in a matrix environment
- Location: Cambridge, MA
Job ID R0005735