The Kaiser Permanente of Washington Director of Specialty Services works collaboratively with the Medical Director to provide the administration, direction, and coordination of designated specialty clinics throughout KPWA in accordance with the mission, vision and values of KPWA. The dyad is responsible and accountable for the development of operational standards for the identified service line(s) in all aspects including, but not limited to, efficient operational processes, capacity, patient safety and experience, care pathways, protocols, research enrollments, financial performance, and quality. The dyad will establish and maintain the systems and infrastructure to meet the full spectrum of medical, psychosocial and emotional needs of patients, their families, and the community using strong evidence-based research.
This position, in collaboration with the Medical Director, is responsible for overseeing designated specialty services strategic direction, setting service line goals for growth and development, identifying external opportunities for promotion of services, seeking new opportunities for growth and internalization of care as well as overall operations of specialty services throughout KPWA. Evaluates and assesses the need for new technologies, staff development, and future services or opportunities to improve patient diagnosis, treatment and outcomes.
Oversees clinical and operational staff including union and non-union personnel, and/or supervisors and managers.
Collaborates with Districts, Primary Care, Pharmacy, Diagnostic Imaging, Surgical Services, KPWHRI researchers, local and national program groups, along with other key stakeholders in pursuit of systematic, comprehensive, and high-reliability clinical and patient care.
- Analyzes processes and systems and implements changes as necessary.
- Oversees integration and standardization efforts and leads the development of new processes
- Serves as the internal communication lead for the specialty services.
- Evaluates clinical data on quality, access, finance, safety, productivity, capacity, and patient volume, and drives efforts for improvement.
- Plan and direct operations of assigned departments.
- Supports care delivery team with the tools, education, information, resources and systems necessary to empower highest-level quality of patient care.
- Ensure departmental adherence to regulations and scope of practice.
Service and Quality
- Works with dyad to align physicians, affiliated clinicians, and health care team to meet or exceed member needs.
- Monitor member complaints and work to resolve concerns with respect to quality of care or physician related concerns.
- Support specialty services growth strategy, achieve or exceed access performance targets and continuously improve quality of service objectives.
Facilitate service coordination and integration with primary care, support services and other specialty services.
Management and Human Resources
- Facilitate specialty services team development, team function and problem solving.
- Direct operational activities to improve processes.
- Direct service line to optimal staffing models and skill mix to deliver service.
- Develop and communicate accountabilities for clinicians, team leaders and support staff.
- Provide coaching, counseling, leadership and management to address human resource issues.
- Address and resolve issues such as personnel policies, payroll practices, member complaint resolution, and conflicts between services.
Identify and develop leadership potential.
- Fosters a culture of evidence-based, patient-centered, and compassionate care.
- Monitors compliance with standards and expectations, and intervenes as necessary.
- Models exemplary ethical behavior.
- Represents the program within KPWA, KP regions and national and to the professional community at large.
Strategic Planning and Business Delivery
- Oversee service delivery and business planning processes for specialty services.
- Determine which medical services will be offered and locations of service delivery.
- Perform competitive analyses and market review.
- Evaluate new technologies and treatment modalities for efficacy in care and cost effectiveness.
- Develop business cases to support changes in service delivery and to gain resources for implementation.
Business and Resource Management
- Develop and manage integrated department budgets for labor, non-labor and referral costs for designated specialty services, including outside care.
- Provide direction to optimize KPWA resources.
- Identify and capitalize on opportunities to improve revenue.
- Identify and support implementation of strategies to reduce the cost structure, e.g., internalization of referrals, implementing cost effective and efficient staff models, improving facility design, removing barriers to clinician effectiveness, reducing variation, coordinate across Specialty Care/Primary Care, etc.
- Develop business case to support acquisition of required resources to support high quality, cost effective delivery of care.
- Responsible for service line budgeting, financial performance, and charge capture systems.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in Service Line development or related area.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in patient care delivery.
Minimum fifteen (15) years of progressively responsible management, analytical and/or clinical experience in the health care industry.
- Master's Degree in Business Administration, Health Care Administration, or related discipline, OR six (6) years of experience in a directly related field.
- High School Diploma OR General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
Job Number: 786001