director Sourcing, Global Equipment and Innovation
Job Summary and Mission
This position contributes to Starbucks success by leading and directing a team of procurement professionals to deliver best total value global sourcing strategies. Develops a vision for best in class sourcing for the spend category. Establishes multi-year plans to enable business goals. Champions corporate social responsibility and supplier diversity leadership programs.
Collaborates internally at all levels, across the US and international business units, and across the supply base to support business sourcing objectives. Models and acts in accordance with Starbucks guiding principles.
Summary of Key Responsibilities Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
Leadership Setting goals for the work group, developing organizational capability, and modeling how we work together:
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the immediate team of direct reports promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results
- Supports the implementation of company programs to ensure the success of the Company.
- Successfully collaborate and motivate across the organization
- Rapidly assess opportunities, develop a compelling vision that will enable best in class performance, and lead teams to implement systematic change
- Build and lead global procurement teams
- Lead teams to higher levels of performance
- Develop people and teams
- Elevate organizational capability across procurement organization
- Successfully influence internal stakeholders through the executive vice president level
Planning and Execution Developing strategic and operational plans for the work group, managing execution, and measuring results:
- Prepares, communicates and educates client groups and team on changes in policies and practices within the organization
- Plans and manages business unit and department processes and practices to ensure that programs are aligned with company business goals and objectives.
Business Requirements Providing functional expertise and executing functional responsibilities:
- Develop compelling vision to enables best in class sourcing for the relevant spend area and the corporation overall
- Establish multi-year strategic plans and goals to enable bottom-line and top-line company growth
- Champion corporate social responsibility and supplier diversity leadership programs
- Design and develop organization with superior engagement to consistently achieve goals
- Collaborate across internal teams, across the supply base, and across the appropriate industry
- Develop and execute sourcing strategies and ratify commodity risk management recommendations
- Drive major step change within scope of responsibility
- Manage the sourcing strategies in areas of high financial or brand risk to Starbucks
- Operate in high-growth climate
Supplier Engagement and Management:
- Develop and leverage strong professional relationships with strategic suppliers and industry players
- Employ market leading knowledge of key global industry players, competitors and dynamics to identify potential
- Proficiently manage suppliers for continuous performance improvement
- Successfully influence external company presidents, as well as governmental policy or standard practice within the industry
- Effectively utilize program and project management tools and techniques
- Effectively manage multiple competing projects and deadlines
- Efficiently solve problems and make decisions for primary and strategic, unique or complex issues across a vast array of projects and processes
- Provide broad oversight and drive execution of project plans
Partner Development & Team Building Providing partners with coaching, feedback, and developmental opportunities and building effective teams:
- Challenges and inspires team members to achieve business results.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Ensures partners adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of partners directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to team members in order to achieve partners, business and customer results
Summary of Experience
- 10+ years of team leadership and people management
- 12+ years of global strategic sourcing/ procurement experience, preferably in a high growth, retail/manufacturing/CPG environment
Required Knowledge, Skills and AbilitiesAbility to apply knowledge of multidisciplinary business principles and practices to achieve successful outcomes in cross-functional projects and activities
- Analytical: Advanced analytical skills, adept in business planning, financial management, and budget management
- Procurement: Market leading knowledge of global market analysis, macro-economic drivers, sourcing category strategy, supplier relationship management, strategic vendor alliance programs, ‘should-cost’ models, and multi-year negotiation strategies, supplier continuous improvement programs/Lean Initiatives Legal: Knowledge of critical procurement legal requirements and contracting best practices
- Ethics: Knowledge of business ethics and Starbucks Ethical Sourcing Requirements
- Influence: Exceptional ability to influence at a Senior Executive Level both internally and externally. Able to influence relevant industry and governmental policy issues