Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
National Grid IT team is currently seeking an innovative, adaptable, and results-oriented leader to lead major initiatives within our Solutions Delivery team as the Solutions Development Director – Engineering Systems. This leader will be responsible for technology programs to transform our Engineering systems applications & platforms management and capabilities. This Director will lead the GIS, Meter Data Services, & Project Systems applications and platforms and implement technology solutions using best in class solutions to support National Grid's business & IT strategy. This role will report to the Sr. Director Solutions Delivery, Engineering Systems within the National Grid IT organization.
- Develops and implements technology vision and operating plans; sets direction based on alignment to business strategy and technology opportunities
- Sets technology strategy and direction for our applications & platforms; partners with business stakeholders and influences overall strategy
- Initiates and fosters relationships with business partners and executives, technology leaders, vendors, and partners; develops relationships that promote trust and increase efficiency and effectiveness
- Hires and leads managers and technical leaders; coaches and counsels team members, and determines and manages staffing strategy and plan, consistent with the needs of the team
- Provides leadership to agile and SAFe teams, and proactively engages with teams to promote process and organizational improvements that enhance overall effectiveness. Especially drive CI/CD methodologies.
- Oversees delivery of multi-year initiatives with timeliness and quality
- Manages relationship with Platform & Application vendors & partners, influencing technology roadmaps and contract negotiations
- Prepares and presents program-level communications for executives and stakeholders
- Defines performance objectives and development plans for team members and ensures alignment with department objectives
- Establishes financial plan for department and manages to plan, and jointly establishes financial targets with business partners
- Develops and maintains a network of industry contacts; performs research on industry trends, competitors, business and IT products; analyzes trends and make strategic and tactical recommendations
- Ensures system, technical and product architectures are aligned with business objectives
- Contribute and influence and National Grid global data architecture
- Experience leading large, multi-year, business-critical Engineering Systems programs
- Experience managing development team on ESRI platform/application
- At least 10 years of experience working in the technology industry with 5 years in leadership role.
- Thorough knowledge of Agile software delivery models (Kanban, Scrum, etc.)
- Advanced knowledge of leadership concepts, practices and techniques, especially change management and leading culture change
- Ability to promote and role model a team-oriented environment
- Ability to lead technology teams
- Highly developed negotiation, facilitation and consensus building skills
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills; strong presentation skills
- Bachelor's degree in computer science/engineering or in related field; Master's Degree preferred
- Thorough knowledge and experience with cloud platforms and applications, and experience implementing at an enterprise-scale
- In-depth understanding of cloud-native architectures, microservices, and open API's
- Experience working in the energy/utility industry
- Experience with Engineering Systems, particularly GIS (ESRI), Meter Data Services & Project Systems
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.