Do you want to build a cutting-edge search & discovery platform using the latest machine learning, deep learning and advanced information retrieval techniques? Do you want to apply data science principals to extract knowledge from the world’s largest medical and scientific knowledge base? Do you want to build the future of healthcare technology? If the answer is yes, then Elsevier is the place for you.
Continued expansion and innovation here at Elsevier means that we now have a significant opportunity for a Director Software Engineering (Search & Discovery) with strong algorithm design, problem solving, and engineering leadership skills to drive the transformation of our search, discovery, personalization and recommendation functionality and so take our health products principally PeMed, Clinical Key and Order Sets to the next level.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate a track record of building scalable, high-performing world-class software systems and teams.
About Elsevier: the company is a world-leading provider of information solutions that helps the end user make better decisions, deliver better care, and make groundbreaking discoveries in science, health, and technology.
- Design and implement key components and systems of the search and discovery platform.
- Algorithm design and optimization (e.g. Big-O analysis).
- Build and code algorithms
- Keep abreast of new technology developments; apply those techniques for enhancing the system.
- Applying machine learning (incl. deep learning) to identify patterns in data.
- Collaborate with other development teams within Elsevier Technology.
- Continually explore methods to enhance code quality and system quality (e.g. automation)
Experience & Qualifications required:
The successful candidate will be a proven leader of multiple agile delivery focused teams and ideally you should have successfully delivered a major hi-performance, hi-availability web platform hosted in the cloud. Experience in the fields of search/knowledge graph/machine learning is highly desirable. Above all, you will be comfortable leading and coaching the development team and will provide technical direction, in tandem with enterprise architects.
Therefore we would like to see demonstrable experience in:
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced algorithm design and optimization skills.
- Expertise in data structures and practical application of data structures.
- Expert coding skills including demonstrated rigor in maintaining high code quality
- Java, Scala and Cloud experience ideally AWS or comparable platform
- Ideally big data / machine learning skills (e.g. Akka, Apache Spark, Cassandra & Hadoop) , semantic search skills (e.g. ontologies, OWL2, SPARQL) and deep learning/document/text search skills
- Practical knowledge of search engine and recommendation systems.
- Working across a matrixed and highly distributed international organization
- Expertise in performance tuning and scaling a software system.
- Partnering with and leading internal and geographically dispersed external technology resources in solving complex business needs
- Complex organization/project planning, time management, and change management across multiple functional groups and departments utilizing tools to manage project progress, budget, and scope
- Advanced delegation involving prioritizing and reprioritizing projects and managing projects of significant size and complexity.
- Leading teams in identifying, researching, and coordinating resources necessary to effectively troubleshoot/diagnose complex project issues
- Building high-performing agile teams through goal setting, performance management, accountability and regular feedback, training, coaching and mentoring.