The Director, Software Engineering is reponsible for building and implementing technical capabilities within our Data Stack. Key areas of focus inlcude data ingestion, API interfaces, Reporting capabilities and other data services on the Hadoop Enterprise Data Lake.
This role will collaborate closely with othertechnology partners within the Enterprise Data Engineering team, Enterprise Architecture and ECCO (Infrastructure & Production Support) to deliver these capabilities and advance the Enterprise Data Lake.
The Enterprise Data lake (EDL), running on Hortonworks Hadoop Platform, is a strategic and foundational data asset for the bank that enables regulatory & compliance reporting, and analytics across various lines of business across the bank.
The EDL has seen tremendous adoption and growth since its inception in mid 2016. A strategic plan has been devised to address the scalabilty and further matruity of the EDL platform, technology and processes.
The incumbent is responsible for the delivery of technology capabilities in this EDL data stack strategic plan.
The incumbent will also be a member of the Enterprise Data Services leadership team and execpted to contribute in advancing the overall EDL agenda forward.
The incumbent is expected to form strategic relationship with key IT and business stakeholders and advance the EDL agenda through effective partnership and influence.
The Director, Software Engineering is accountable for the leadership and end-to-end delivery of technology capabilities in the EDL Data Stack that are required for key business capability enablement.
Responsibilities inlcude developing and delivering on a program portfolio working closely with Big Data Solution Architecture and Data Engineering teams, Enterprise Architecture and ECCO (Infrastructure & Production Support)
1. Following the EDL Strategic Roadmap, define an actionable project plan, including individual project scope, schedule, resourcing and supporting processes & procedures
2. Define team, team structure, roles & responsibilities of cross functional muti-disciplinary teams with matrix relationship
3. Coordinate activities across multiple teams and ensure deliverables meet timelines
4. Monitor, manage and mitigate risks and issues related to individual work streams and overall program
5. Monitor, track, and report progress - prepare project dashboards and status reports, including executive dashboards
5. Meet financial objectives by forecasting requirements, preparing budgets, scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions
7. Provide techical leadership and guidance to the team drawing on expertise from subject matter experts, including vendor partners.
8. Maintain effective vendor relationship with key vendor partners in plan execution and advancing the EDL platform.
9. Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the industry best practice in the data technology space and provide thought leadership in developing strategic plans for the EDL and data technology stack
1. Strong technical savvy with software and data products development background and subject matter expertise in the Big Datatechnology space (Hadoop eco system, Spark, Cloud, API, Streaming/Real-time etc)
2. Solid understanding of software development life cycle models as well as expert knowledge of both Agile and traditional project management principles and practices
3. Strong interpersonal and leadership skills including mentoring, coaching, collaborating, and team building
4. Strong analytical, planning, and organizational skills with an ability to manage competing demands
5. Excellent oral and written communications skills and experience interacting with both business and IT individuals at all levels including the executive level
6. Creative approach to problem-solving with the ability to focus on details while maintaining the “big picture” view
1. Bachelors degree or higher preferably in the Computer Science, Engineering or Finance discipline
2. Project management and/or Agile certification is an asset
3. Must have experience in successfully implementing software development projects using Agile methodologies including 8+ years of experience in leading large and complex projects in a high-tech development environment with multi-functional teams.