Director, Software Engineering ( Partner Solutions Engineering )
Who We Are & What We Do
As part of the Cox Automotive family, Partner Solutions Engineering (PSE) delivers elegant software solutions and services to help Cox Automotive’s enterprise customers solve their most complex business problems.
Cox Automotive’s PSE team is comprised of customer-focused, versatile, hardworking, and creative thinkers with diverse skill sets, who can adapt to the rapid changes in the automotive and technology industries. Our professionals are committed to delivering elegant solutions to enterprise customers leveraging Cox Automotive’s connected digital software solutions against aggressive timelines.
We are looking for a passionate, customer-focused software engineering leader who can lead PSE teams focused on delivering solutions for our largest customers using Dealer.com’s Web Platform. The Director is an Engineering leader who effectively guides and builds teams to be successful. He/She works closely with Engineering Leadership, external customers, and key stakeholders across the company to execute the strategic priorities of the customers, and is responsible for ensuring the morale, productivity, and overall health of the scrum teams continues to improve over time.
This Director will lead a group of teams located in Burlington, VT and Dallas, TX focused on leveraging Cox Automotive’s products for the successful creation, enhancement and delivery of software projects based on contracts with our customers. Our PSE team is highly dynamic and routinely needs to balance customization against feature enhancement and core product, and often contributes enhancements to the core product.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
- Manages Partner Solutions Engineering release train consisting of 10+ scrum teams.
- Overall responsibility for the engineering and architecture alignment of all solutions delivered within release train.
- Ensures that team organization, individual development, and communication are in line with the PSE and broader Cox Automotive vision. Builds Scrum and leadership teams that perform at a high level. Fosters inter-team collaboration and productivity.
- Implements, measures and reports on the execution strategy defined for the team. Execution includes delivery of planned work, with deliverables that meet company standards with respect to quality, scalability, and reliability. Effectively communicates with key stakeholders when either scope or timeline of projects require modification.
- Oversees engineering processes and ability to generate new processes to meet needs. Works closely with senior leadership on continual process improvement and organizational change to support Agile values.
- Responsible for appropriately allocating teams to the highest value investments per business backlog and release planning. Formulate and communicate mitigation strategies for long running projects, or projects where risk is high.
- Tracks and measures project work and programs to assess overall success.
- Responsible for ensuring the program scrum teams’ overall morale and productivity continue to improve.
- Manages career progression for team members to include hiring, performance reviews, salary decisions, mentoring, and coaching.
- Partners with leadership on higher level PSE initiatives.
- Allocates resources strategically and tactically by balancing the broader PSE lens with the locally supported business unit’s needs.
- Oversees budgeting for local team including: hardware to support projects, staffing, facilities and tools for software development.
- Responsible for local engineering brand awareness strategy and implementation as well as responsible for continuing to evolve culture of engineering team to drive Cox Automotive Engineering operating principles.
- Represents Cox Automotive & Partner Solutions Engineering in the local and regional community; building and fostering relationships used to promote community outreach, name & brand recognition, and talent acquisition.
- Serves as a point of contact for escalations with the teams or for the customers
- Bachelor’s degree
- Background and experience in Automotive a plus
- Experience with Professional Services / Consulting organizations
- 4+ years of technology and software engineering leadership experience in a complex and fast-paced business environment (ideally an agile environment).
- Team player with excellent work habits and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must live in either Burlington, VT or Dallas, TX
- Must be willing to travel to secondary site (either Burlington, VT or Dallas, TX), as well as other Cox Automotive locations.
- Travel varies, but will be approximately 25%