Our Software Engineers:
Our Software Engineers are passionate influencers who have built a premier software platform for auto dealers and are thinkers with the tenacity to take on the biggest challenges in our industry.We weave collaboration and support into the fabric of everything we do. Hackathons 2-3 times per year offer the opportunity to network and spark innovation. You’ll be immersed in an environment that nurtures individual talents, cultivates team work and dynamics and provides multiple opportunities for creative problem-solving.
We are looking for a passionate software engineering leader who can help evolve the Dealer Management Systems Software Platform team to the next level. The Director is an Engineering leader who effectively guides and builds teams to be successful. The Director works closely with Engineering Leadership and key stakeholders across the company to execute the strategic priorities of the company, specifically in regards to the retail project portfolio, and is responsible for ensuring the morale, productivity, and overall health of the scrum teams continues to improve over time.
The Director, Engineering will lead a group of teams located in Salt Lake City, UT. These teams are focused on the dealer management system platform services. These services use a combination of AWS and on-prem implementations. Our team is highly dynamic and regularly solves new challenges through amazing technology combined with deep domain understanding.
- Manages a teams on the platform release train that contains multiple scrum teams. Overall responsibility for the engineering and architecture alignment of all solutions delivered within release train.
- Ensures that team organization, individual development, and communication are in line with the retail and broader Cox Automotive vision. Builds Scrum and leadership teams that perform at a high level. Fosters inter-team collaboration and productivity.
- Implements, measures and reports on the execution strategy defined for the team. Execution includes delivery of planned work, with deliverables that meet company standards with respect to quality, scalability, and reliability. Effectively communicates with key stakeholders when either scope or timeline of projects require modification.
- Oversees engineering processes and ability to generate new processes to meet needs. Works closely with senior leadership on continual process improvement and organizational change to support Agile values.
- Responsible for appropriately allocating teams to the highest value investments per business backlog and release planning. Formulate and communicate mitigation strategies for long running projects or projects where risk is high.
- Tracks and measures project work and programs to assess overall success. Responsible for ensuring the program scrum teams’ overall morale and productivity continue to improve.
- Manages career progression for team members to include hiring, performance reviews, salary decisions, mentoring, and coaching.
- Partners with leadership on higher level retail initiatives and other cox automotive sites.
- Allocates resources strategically and tactically by balancing the broader retail lens with the locally supported business unit’s needs.
- Oversees budgeting for local team including: hardware to support projects, staffing, facilities and tools for software development.
- Responsible for local engineering brand awareness strategy and implementation as well as responsible for continuing to evolve culture of engineering team to drive Cox Automotive Engineering operating principles.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics/Statistics or Engineering. Master’s degree preferred.
- 10+ years professional experience designing and building enterprise applications using C# or Java
- 3+ years experience with web services, including RESTful services
- 2+ years experience leading teams of 4 or more software engineers
- Experience leading teams through cloud adoption a plus
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration and Deployment tools
- Experience with Microservices or Service Oriented Architecture
- In-depth knowledge of RDBMS and SQL fundamentals.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working in an Agile environment preferred.