Responsible for overseeing the implementation of strategies and programs focused on small, women, minority and veteran owned businesses. Manages outreach and products targeted to the segment. Provides support to key urban communities, identifies business opportunities and utilizes market information to inform management of new product/service development and administer those programs effectively.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides critical input into strategies to better reach and serve small businesses, with a focus on small, women, minority and veteran owned businesses.
- Takes the lead to develop and administer programs to serve NJ small business owners.
- Oversees the departments performance against key metrics by using CRM
- Ensure relationships with CDFIs are maintained and grown, and that programs encourage servicing SWMVBE business owners throughout the state.
- Directs and manages the implementation of effective business development efforts for SWMBVE and targeted communities throughout New Jersey.
- Identifies gaps in the marketplace, provides feedback and makes recommendations to Leadership on EDA’s ability to close those gaps.
- Oversees a network of partners to ensure the department is involved in outreach activities throughout the state on a regular basis (i.e.- chambers of commerce, industry working groups, SBA, SBDCs, SCORE, CDFIs, COI’s), whose primary focus serves the SWMVBE to enable a pipeline which will foster an enterprise’s growth.
- Engages with local governments to better understand what the needs are specific to its community.
- Maintain open dialogue with the state’s Chief Diversity Officer to ensure efforts are diverse and inclusionary.
- Manages a team of business development staff to ensure effective delivery of EDA products, programs and services.
- Manages key programs which primarily support the small business segment and community revitalization efforts (i.e. technical assistance, grants, loans, guarantee, loan loss reserves, bonding readiness, loan to lenders)
- Develops and maintains relationships with strategic partners, professional service providers and other State and local partners to drive business results.
- Plays a key role in delivering customized and creative solutions to small businesses and communities,
- Provides input and recommendations for product development based on market and customer needs.
- Represents the EDA at various meetings, including board, interagency, advisory and task forces. Make presentations at forums and events within the financial and business communities to communicate and promote the Authority’s resources.
- Supports the development and accuracy of all marketing and web materials targeted to small businesses.
- Ensures department practices and processes follow EDA policies and guidelines and are consistently applied.
- Promotes teamwork and communication to encourage an interactive, cooperative, collaborative, and customer focused work environment among department, EDA staff and external customers and partners including federal, state and local agencies, with a focus on furthering the EDA mission.
- Builds, develops, measures and coaches’ members of direct report team to develop skills and behaviors to enhance performance. Sets staff goals and objectives and reviews staff semi-annually against individual plans. Develops and implements a plan to meet the training needs and succession plan for team.
- Must complete annual and semiannual self-assessment as required
- Performs other duties or special projects, as assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge and understanding of EDA programs and services
- In depth knowledge of CDFIs and SBA products
- Understanding of the state business registration and reporting requirements
- In depth knowledge of small business lending and underwriting principles
- Ability to assess complex income, balance sheet, cash flow statements and personal net worth statements, tax returns and be able to calculate debt services
- Ability to manage people, oversee and coordinate personnel; open to learning and implementing improved supervisory techniques
- Ability to initiate procedures, guidelines, and programs
- Track and monitor progress of programs to ensure Standard Operating Procedures are being followed
- Strong relationship building skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of financing and incentives in economic and community development
- Actively supports and aligns work with EDA’s current strategic imperatives
- Provides sound financial stewardship of the organization’s assets and controls expenses whenever possible
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative and proactive; a leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical initiatives
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with a broad range of audiences including senior management, EDA Board of Directors, staff, government officials, business and industry partners, as well as individual customers and prospects
- Strong mentoring, coaching experience to lead a team with diverse levels of expertise and focus
- Strong management skills, ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Passion for EDA’s mission and to serve the small business community
- Customer focused
- Adapts to changes in the work environment and manages competing demands
- Initiates procedures, guidelines and programs; prioritizes and develops realistic action plans
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; proficient in grammar, spelling, and editing; and foster communications with business professionals and EDA staff.
- Ability to prioritize workload, must be highly organized, detail-oriented, handle various tasks simultaneously and work independently within limited time constraints with little or no supervision
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality and deal effectively and diplomatically with business professionals and EDA staff
- Demonstrates respectful behavior and promotes teamwork and communication to encourage an interactive, cooperative, collaborative and customer focused work environment among division, EDA staff and external customers
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and the ability to learn new software packages
EDA Leadership Profile
- Acquires and Develops Talent - Acquires and develops talent to meet current and future organizational goals
- Builds and Manages the Team - Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills with the ability to build, coach and lead a team with diverse levels of experience
- Collaborates/Partners Effectively Across Boundaries/Functions - Encourages and facilitates cooperation and collaboration within teams and across organizational boundaries to achieve strategies and objectives
- Drives a Vision - Inspires a sense of shared purpose; drives a vision
- Drives for Results - Demonstrates a commitment to achieving goals; drives for results
- Encourages New Ideas and Opportunities for Change - Encourages new ideas and initiatives; creates opportunities for change
- Motivates and Energizes Others - Influences, motivates and challenges others; encourages contributions
- Thinks Strategically - Makes sound, well-informed and strategic decisions; understands the impact and implications of decisions
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in business administration with emphasis in accounting, finance or economics and/or equivalent professional experience
- Seven to ten years of business experience, preferably in banking or finance
- Minimum of five years of supervisory experience preferred
- Must have experience working with financing tools that support economic and urban/community development
Advanced degree or industry specific certification may be substituted for 1 year of experience
- Attendance at meetings outside of normal work hours
- Ability to work outside normal business hours, as needed
- As necessary to events, meetings, businesses, etc.
Certificates and Licenses Required
The examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job description. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed. This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope, general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.