Real Estate Debt
MIM offers investors a Commercial Mortgage strategy that seeks to identify lower leveraged mortgages that offer higher relative value and greater protection from default risk. Our commercial mortgage business targets primary markets with the remainder in defined secondary and tertiary markets. We focus on institutional quality office buildings, retail centers, apartment complexes, industrial properties and hotels. Professionals in MIM’s regional field office network solicit, underwrite and process the loans and have in-depth real estate knowledge and longstanding industry relationships. Global Real Estate and Agricultural Investments sources and manages commercial real estate investments through seven regional field offices in the U.S. and International field offices in London, Tokyo, Mexico City and Santiago. The seven U.S. regions are headquartered in Chicago, Dallas, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Washington DC, and Whippany, NJ.
MetLife launched its open-end Commercial Mortgage Income Fund in 2015. The fund’s strong performance has generated healthy investor appetite, creating the opportunity to expand our mortgage origination team by hiring up to four new senior producers across the key markets listed above. The Director, Senior Mortgage Producer, will market, identify, analyze, originate, close and manage higher yielding senior and subordinated commercial mortgage loan opportunities to fulfill the investment needs of MetLife Investment Management’s real estate lending platform.
- Originate, close and manage new first mortgage higher yielding senior and subordinated debt commercial real estate loaninvestments across multiple asset classes
- Develop, expand and maintain external relationships with key market participants, such as mortgage bankers, developers, consultants, and investors which extend beyond the existing MetLife relationships
- Solicit investment opportunities from market participants and communicate MetLife’s commercial real estate loan lending parameters and products
- Evaluate new commercial real estate loaninvestment requests in view of MetLife investment criteria
- Underwrite potential new higher yielding senior and subordinated debt commercial real estate loaninvestments, including evaluating the collateral, sponsorship, and structure; identify potential risks and propose appropriate mitigation structures
- Prepare transaction memoranda and present to investment committees for approval
- Manage the closing process for new transactions, including negotiating loan applications and loan documents, completing all due diligence, and coordinating a closing team that includes loan asset managers, analysts, attorneys, architects, appraisers and other third-party service providers
- Participate in the management and administration of commercial real estate loaninvestments in the Regional Office portfolio, including annual mortgage ratings, collateral valuations, property inspections, lease approvals, and loan assumptions and modifications
- Evaluate and monitor ongoing performance of higher yielding senior and subordinated debt commercial real estate loanportfolio in accordance with stated strategies. Develop strategies for sub-performing loans
- Fulfill all loanportfolioreporting requests, as needed
- Maintain a close relationship with Debt Strategies Group
- Collaborate with Regional Office colleagues to drive increased production of higher yielding senior and subordinated debt transactions across the entire MetLife platform
- Reports to: Regional Director
- Key Stakeholders: Mortgage Origination team lead and producers, Regional Loan Asset Management, Investment Management Portfolio Managers, Debt Strategies Group (DSG), Institutional Client Group, Risk Research and Analytics unit
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Results-driven professional with 10+ years of experience originating higher yielding senior and subordinated commercial mortgage loan assets
- Expertise and strong relationships with key regional market participants, including brokers, borrowers, bankers, developers, and operators relevant to the higher yielding senior and subordinated commercial mortgage loan market
- Understanding of all major asset classes in commercial real estate
- Strong credit skills and demonstrated ability to analyze and appropriately price risk for higher yield opportunities
- Comfort and credibility presenting accurate and compelling recommendations to executive Investment Committee members
- Demonstrated ability to develop and introduce profitable investment strategies and execute same through dynamic leadership, strategic planning, and collaboration with experienced internal and external partners
- Strong marketing and negotiation skills
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills with ability to thrive in a collaborative, matrixed team environment
- Demonstrated computer skills including proficiency with Argus Enterprise, Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Bachelor’s degree expected; MBApreferred
- Thinks Strategically – Sets direction aligned to the company’s strategy, applying external and global perspective to meet local and global needs.
- Seizes Opportunity – Seeks new opportunities and ways to create balanced business growth while improving operational capabilities.
- Focuses on Customers – Promotes customer centricity and ensures focus on creating great customer experiences to achieve competitive advantage.
- Drives Results – Sets aggressive goals and is accountable for continuously driving improved performance, leading change and ensuring high standards.
- Motivates People – Gains people commitment to achieve business objectives through clear communication of the company’s vision and flexing leadership styles to inspire high performance.
- Creates Partnerships – Authentically builds trusted relationships and collaborates across global, diverse and multi-functional teams to successfully drive business objectives.
- Grows Talent – Inclusively and pro-actively develops talent, empowers individuals and manages diverse teams to drive engagement and performance.
- Models our Values – Creates a culture that promotes the company’s values and standards through role modeling, accountability and ownership of decisions.
Requisition #: 107332