The Director of Finance M&A Integrations is a critical Finance leadership role that will interface across various teams and senior levels of the Company, as well as the internal and external auditors. Embedded within the Controllership as a proven accounting operations leader, this position is accountable for the end-to-end processes impacting Finance surrounding Coinbase’s mergers and acquisitions, beginning with financial due diligence and ending with integration of acquirees into Coinbase’s global financial processes. The role will partner with Corporate Development cross-functional M&A team leads, as well as subject matter experts and leaders within the Finance organization. A successful candidate will be confident and assertive, have the ability to lead both large and small teams, will provide a strong voice to represent Finance throughout the M&A process, and will work collaboratively with key partners within Finance (e.g. Tax, Treasury, Financial Reporting, FP&A, etc.) and outside of Finance (Corp Dev, Data, Legal, HR, etc.). This position will report to the Chief Accounting Officer. Responsibilities include the following:
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Manage the end-to-end integration process and activities for Finance teams from initial development of integration plans with milestones and timelines required to achieve deal specific value and synergies, to execution of the tactical plans, to providing a clear roadmap for ongoing ownership to complete the integration.
- Lead the coordination of external valuations on significant acquisitions and acts as a liaison between external valuation experts and the external audit team. Drive the analysis and financial due diligence processes to measure the performance of proposed acquisitions and/or business opportunities.
- Assess significant accounting practices of target companies.
- Conduct interviews with target’s Finance and management team during due diligence and serve as a key contact through integration.
- Provide technical accounting and pro forma presentation advice around deal structure and terms, and provide technical expertise particularly with regard to ASC 805.
- Facilitate audit requests from external auditors supporting purchase accounting and provide support for any external reporting requirements of the transaction.
- Plan and execute acquired entity integration and related internal controls.
- Plan and execute carve-out financial statements, held for sale accounting, transition service agreements, and other divestiture activities.
- Plan and execute portions of the annual goodwill and other intangible asset impairment test, quarterly trigger analysis, and transitions tests.
- Build and develop Finance’s M&A Integration approach, partnering with leaders across the organization to drive execution and efficiency.
- Develop repeatable processes that accelerate integrations and ensure timely communication of events.
- Identify improvements in acquisition integration processes/techniques and implement best practice methodologies.
- Coordinate and lead cross-functional meetings, document decisions & follow up on actions.
- Influence and make high quality decisions and take decisive action. Work well under deadlines and juggle multiple priorities.
- Lead strategic projects as needs arise.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Minimum 9+ years experience in operational accounting roles, including several years of experience prior in one of the “Big 4” public accounting firms.
- CPA with a diverse accounting background.
- You’ve had extensive exposure to Global M&A transactions and financial statement analysis.
- Strong technical background particularly with regard to ASC 805.
- Completion of at least 5 deals in the last 2 years either as an employee of the acquiror or as an external consultant.
- You’re well-versed in leading large cross-functional, collaborative teams as well as directly managing small teams. You’re an exceptionally strong collaborator that brings groups together to make impact
- You have a lot of exposure to influencing and partnering with a diverse group of stakeholders, able to partner with deeply technical as well as operational, business-minded leaders
- You devote time to and are passionate about educating, mentoring and teaching partners the values and business impact behind technical accounting
- Your strengths span both analytical and organizational skills as well as excellent oral and written communication skills. Most importantly, exceptionally detail-oriented.
Nice to haves:
- NetSuite and Google Suite experience.