The Director – North America Segment Technology, Audit Services is accountable for the delivery of high quality, professional, cost-effective, value-added and risk-based internal audit services across Technology groups headquartered in North America (NA), including Canada, US, Global Wealth & Asset Management (GWAM) Segments, Group Functions (GF) and Global Data Office (GDO) while providing support to NA business and global Technology audits.
Primary accountabilities include:
Leadership and People Development – Lead and develop a team of high-calibre audit professionals that strives to continually improve as part of a best-in-class audit practice.
Audit Delivery – Delivery of North America Segment Technology audits (steady state/key risk, program and project, business integrated, consulting). Delivery of application and infrastructure technology SOX audit work and to drive our approach and processes for this work forward through use of automation, data analytics, and shared services.
Reporting and Planning – Execution and continuous improvement of reporting processes in support of the larger technology audit organization, as well as annual audit planning, resource management, and other process improvements for the immediate North America segment technology audit team.
Other – Audit initiatives, engagements, and process improvements as assigned.
The role reports to the AVP of North America Segment Technology, Audit Services.
- Understand the company’s strategy, operations and regulatory environment to proactively identify areas of emerging and heightened risk related to technology that affect the company
- Support the development of an audit strategy for NA, GWAM and GF information systems and GDO that supports business, technology and audit services strategies, provides sufficient coverage for key risks while meeting regulatory expectations
- Develop the integrated audit model and tools to drive consistency across all engagements
- Help improve Technology SOX delivery and quality to improve efficiencies through increased use of data analytics, automation, shared services and other innovations
- Develop and produce meaningful reports for Senior Technology Management that identify trends and enable continuous improvement of risks and controls
- Contribute to the development of Audit Services policies, strategy and direction; continually improve audit and supporting processes leveraging technology to the fullest
Audit Delivery and Oversight
- Plan and direct audits and special audit projects to objectively evaluate the effectiveness of key controls and adequacy of risk management practices; collaborating with management to obtain a consensus on establishing the problem, risks exposure; produce meaningful audit reports that clearly articulate the position on risks and related issues, while meeting Audit Services operational targets related to budget, timeline and quality of execution
- Delivery of annual Technology Application and Infrastructure IT general controls (ITGC) SOX work in collaboration with Technology Management, SOX Project Management Office (PMO) and Centres of Excellence (COEs) and external audit
- Perform integrated/cross functional audits in partnership with groups across Audit Services to provide comprehensive reporting on risks that could prevent the achievement of management’s objectives
- Support the development of an annual audit plan for NA, GWAM and GF information systems and GDO in collaboration with management and Audit Services leadership
- Drive innovation and incorporate and develop industry best practices into forward thinking audit approach; manage Audit Services’ resources efficiently, economically and effectively
- Provide management with timely recommendations that reduce risk, help them run their business better, make strategic and operational decisions, and oversee management of risks and controls;
- Monitoring progress in implementing control recommendations and reporting thereon; assist with preparation of Audit Committee and senior leadership reports
- Assist in the development and definition of the annual audit plan for NA, GWAM and GF information systems and GDO using risk management processes and in collaboration with management and Audit Services leadership
Leadership & People Development
- Lead and develop a high-caliber audit team, attract and retain top talent and provide appropriate development, coaching and training utilizing the Audit Services Core Competencies model
- Foster creative culture that strives for continuous improvement and welcomes and offers feedback—enabling best-in-class audit practices
- Challenge, coach and enable the team members to develop to their fullest and maximize their contribution to the team
- Drive team skills development and engagement; manage talent across the team for development and succession and rotate change expertise
- Support management’s expectations regarding assurance and advisory work deadlines and deliverables
- Providing relevant stakeholders with an overview of audit work and commentary on the control environment, including trends and emerging issues that could impact the Company
- Collaborate effectively with divisional and global stakeholders in Technology and Information Risk Management; leverage second line of defense activities to execute on deliverables
- Establishing a high level of credibility and building professional relationships with key stakeholders responsible for Technology across all Segments and Global Functions in North America
- Exceptional communications judgement and the ability to communicate clearly and succinctly to effectively deliver key messages verbally and in writing and to listen and consider various perspectives; confident presentation and facilitation skills and strong interpersonal and leadership skills to facilitate working with senior management at all levels
- Ability to quickly understand business processes and risks, identify key controls, analyze complex situations, reach appropriate conclusions, make value-added and practical recommendations and influence management to take appropriate actions on recommendations
- In depth knowledge of audit methodologies, project management and system development methodologies (including Agile), control frameworks and risk management practices, and regulatory requirements; Exceptional understanding of how technology supports business strategies, the latest technology and cyber security trends, best practices and industry standards; excellent working knowledge of risks affecting financial institutions and insurance industry
- Experience working with external auditors (Statutory Audit, SOX, SOC 1 and 2 engagements) effectively and helping technology management understand the impacts
- Previous people management experience preferred, with the ability to lead and motivate a team of professionals in a new and rapidly changing environment to deliver with timeliness and quality
- Results oriented with a keen focus on quality and delivering value; ability to balance multiple priorities and projects; strong attention to detail while retaining focus on the “big picture” and top risks; flexible and organized with the ability to oversee multiple projects concurrently
- Excellent influencing, relationship building and negotiation skills; professional presence, ability to navigate a matrix environment and influence across different areas and levels of management both in Audit Services and Technology
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in diverse environments and cultures, over multiple office locations
- Ability to identify opportunities to utilize data analytics for enhanced depth and breadth of audit coverage
- Relevant post-secondary education or equivalent experience, plus a recognized auditing (e.g. CA, CPA, CISA) or security (e.g. CISSP, CISM) designation/certification or equivalent experience, with at least 6-8 years of total experience
- Highest level of integrity accompanied by strong ethical principles
- Will need to travel within North America