We are seeking talented individuals with an entrepreneurial drive who will thrive in our collaborative, fast paced environment and share in our mission to help others. We are headquartered in San Diego, CA with additional offices in Dublin, Ireland.
This position will be responsible for providing strategic leadership in medical education and congress planning, as well as digital innovation in medical communications. The Director, Scientific Communications - Medical Education and Congress Planning will direct, manage and support medical education activities, including requests for medical education support for healthcare providers and patients, maintain educational areas of interest, and conduct educational gaps and needs assessments, audit sponsored Continuing Medical Education (CME) activities, and ensure full compliance of sponsored CME activities with all external and internal policies. In addition, this role will be managing Medical Affairs activities at Congresses. This role will also lead the use of digital technology to educate and engage with physicians and patients.
- Create strategic plan and responsible for the execution of medical education and Congress planning, for both virtual and in-person formats.
- Provide strategic leadership using digital innovation to educate and engage various stakeholders.
- Chair Medical Educational Grants (MEG) Review Committee and ensure global alignment of CME activities with Retrophin’s educational areas of interest.
- Review and triage all relevant medical education grant proposals to ensure appropriateness before full MEG review, as needed.
- Evaluate medical grant requests on both content and compliance with all internal and external IME policies and regulations.
- Manage the medical education grants budget; develop and present outcomes reports.
- Oversee proper processing, handling, and archiving of grant documents.
- Develop and maintain relationships with Medical Education Companies.
- Develop and present outcomes reports on Retrophin-sponsored CME activities.
- Ensure alignment with scientific narrative and strategy at Congresses.
- Responsible for the development of medical education and Congress materials and help support the creation of training materials for internal- and external-facing audiences.
- Responsible for Congress planning and execution of Medical Affairs objectives at Congresses.
- MS, PharmD, PhD in related Life Sciences discipline. Equivalent combination of education and applicable job experience may be considered.
- 8-10 years of experience in Medical Affairs preferably within Life Sciences industry; experience directly working in medical education grants strategy and management; Congress planning experience a plus.
- Medical writing/content development experience either in nephrology and/or across a range of rare diseases preferred.
- Strategic understanding of the role CME has in the overall medical communication plan of pharma grantors.
- Ability to analyze major therapeutic areas and determine specific clinical and educational gaps that justify the rationale for CME programming.
- Knowledge of PhRMA guidelines, adult learning principles and behaviors, and predominant IME Guidelines, including ACCME, and relevant Sunshine Act provisions.
- Strong professional experience in a similar role within the pharmaceutical industry.
- Well organized with the ability to multitask, prioritize and manage shifting responsibilities in a dynamic, cross-functional teamwork environment.
- Excellent collaboration skills with strong attention to detail and the ability to multi-task and manage complexity.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Successful record of creating and managing complex project plans, timelines, budgets and critical paths.
- Ability to adapt to modification and changes to project plans, demonstrating flexibility to implement new strategies and tactics to accommodate these changes.
- Proven ability to work with vendors and maintaining positive relationships.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to travel 15% domestic and internationally.