WEX is seeking a Director of Risk Decision Science to lead data-driven decision functionality of risk processes based on profitability frameworks. Collaborating with cross-functional partners across all areas of WEX globally, this role will solve unique business challenges, influence strategic decisions, measure impact and identify growth drivers for our internal and external customers.
As a leading Fintech company, we approach our work with passion and boundless curiosity. Before making a decision, we consider the impact it will have on our customers, partners, and colleagues.
We respectfully communicate feedback, deliver on our promises, and collaborate across the organization, always with integrity as our primary driver. We are stewards in our communities and mentors to our peers. We always seek opportunities for personal and professional growth.
This role can be located Remote or work from our Corporate Headquarters in Portland, Maine.
The ideal candidate will have the opportunity to:
- Build and leverage new and existing data sources to drive superior risk decisions for commercial risk products
- Deploy technology and machine learning techniques to optimize decisions with outstanding customer experience
- Grow data-driven approaches to validating, remediating and enhancing risk models and measuring ongoing portfolio performance
- Map and measure the effectiveness of risk decisioning and the application process
- Help design risk-based policies and rules that lead to dynamic decisioning to improve WEX’s overall customer experiences
- Facilitate review of tools and capabilities against business needs (globally) to support vision forward (all financial services)
- Collaborate with key stakeholders and cross-functional partners across WEX including Technology, Bank, Marketing, Finance, Legal, Risk and Compliance/BSA/AML to deliver on new credit product development activities and credit product launch
- Manage and lead relevant technology/modeling vendor relationships and set standards for end-to-end delivery of tools that support risk decisioning lifecycle
- Oversee (with input from relevant stakeholders) the creation and maintenance of a risk-based strategy framework to lower attrition rates throughout the application process
- Recommend solutions to increase profitable approvals and AR while decreasing losses, and lead remediation efforts
Skills needed to succeed:
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree strongly preferred
- 8+ years commercial data science and/or commercial credit risk management experience in a financial services industry; payments industry experience a plus
- Experience using statistics and machine learning to solve complex business problems
- Ability to think critically in order to analyze problems and develop creative, practical and efficient solutions for a multinational company
- Strong communications skills that distill complex data and systems issues to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Understanding of and experience with credit decision engines and/or payment technology
- Leadership qualities that motivate collaboration with others, guiding the prioritization of initiatives
- Willingness to learn and continuously build technical skill set
- Ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects and tasks at the same time
- Adaptable and comfortable working collaboratively and independently in a self-starting manner