Brookfield Properties has an immediate need for a Retail Development Director at Brookfield Chicago.
Brookfield Properties is a retail real estate company headquartered in Chicago, Illinois and owned by affiliates of Brookfield Asset Management. Our regional shopping centers are destinations for retail, lifestyle, dining, entertainment and so much more. Our extensive portfolio of properties spans the nation, encompassing 163 locations across 42 states and representing over 146 million square feet of retail space. All of our properties are strategically located in regional and coastal areas that constitute the "heart" of America.
Our passionate team is comprised of experts across a range of specialties who share a goal of ensuring our properties are continuously evolving and innovating to meet the needs of our communities. Our company culture celebrates collaboration, encourages an entrepreneurial spirit and values diversity. We are very proud to have a team of premier talent who are in it to win it. We invite you to be part of our success story.
The Director, Retail Development creates income and value for the company through identification, assessment and development of new business concepts that differentiate our malls and broaden our tenant pool. This position also develops unexpected shopping experiences intended to incubate new businesses at select properties.
- Assist VP, Retail Development to develop annual strategic plan intended to expand customer base and achieve sales targets. Serve as an advisory, providing direction, to team members regarding sales presentations, strategy, proformas, etc.
- Proactively identify, develop relationships with, and guide promising 1) ecommerce companies; 2) emerging U.S. brands; 3) retailers/franchises with a national scope; and 4) wholesalers in opening retail stores, test concepts, pop ups in select company malls.
- Develop strategic & unexpected shopping experiences to be executed at select properties.
- Develop new business via telephone, cold calling, canvassing, conferences, trade publications, social media, etc.
- Identify and recruit brands that are looking to create pop-ups and introduce them to opportunities at company malls.
- Identify retailpartnerships and opportunities to monetize vacant or underutilized spaces across company’s portfolio.
- Manage, and evolve deals from, a significant merchandisingcategory with minimal supervision.
- Obtain deals and rents and capital investment at levels that can be approved by the company
- Manage deals through all stages from cold-calling, lease negotiation, visual requirements, legal documentation and store opening.
- Educate and inform prospective retailers about the benefits of operating a retail store within the company mall. Provide critical research, information and insights on the retail industry.
- Build and maintain strong, long-lasting professional relationships, internally and externally.
- Effectively communicate the value proposition through proposals and presentations.
- Guide viable new business concepts through a strategic planning process to achieve a successful store opening – business planning, market strategy, mall location analysis, operational guidance. Expose them to all possible resources to assist with their store strategy.
- Be a subject matter expert on emerging retail trends and provide guidance to internal stakeholders.
- Monitor monthly and year to date progress, troubleshoot, identify problems, and work to develop solutions.
- Manage service provider negotiations and contracts.
- Communicate effectively and persuasively with prospective tenants.
- Communicate effectively to local, regional and corporate employees of various levels.
- Ensure all reports and databases are maintained and submitted by due dates.
- Make recommendations for improvements or develop new processes and methods of communications.
- Ensure that all visual merchandising requirements and standards are met for all national, regional, and local programming.
- Clear understanding of merchandising, consumer needs and trends.
- Ensure that company standards/best practices are in place.
- Attend appropriate seminars, conventions, trainings, and meetings.
- Mentor new hires or lesser experienced team members.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree
- 5 years plus retail leasing and/or product sales
- Real Estate experiencerequired.
- Proven ability to drive the sales process from plan to close
- Understanding of shopping center merchandising and leasing
- Background in pop up retail
- Experience in national retail program roll outs
- Creativity and Innovation! Ability to bring to life cutting edge retailexperiences with long lasting impact
- Deal making, prospecting, networking, and leasing experience
- Strong social media skills
- Working knowledge of merchandising mix and retailing
- Working knowledge of deal structures and lease terminology
- Excellent oral and written communication, public speaking, presentation skills
- Aptitude for problem-solving; ability to determine solutions for customers
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment
- Strong analytical skills
- Highest level of personal integrity
- Ability to communicate, present and influence all levels of the organization, including executive and C-level
- Strong skills in Microsoft Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint