To conduct this research, the program draws upon researchers from a range of disciplines including economics, operations research, cost analysis, engineering, management, and statistics. The RMP director proactively adapts the research emphasis to stay on the cutting edge of policy issues within the program’s domains; helps to recruit, retain, develop, and lead researchers; ensures the quality of the program’s research; and works externally to enhance the visibility and policy impact of Project AIR FORCE.
The RMP Director, reporting to the Vice President and Director of Project AIR FORCE, must:
- Evaluate, oversee and provide intellectual leadership for complex, multi-disciplinary analysis;
- Manage a portfolio of projects on time and on budget without sacrificing quality;
- Ensure that briefings, written reports, and other products meet RAND standards for quality and objectivity;
- Help maintain a world-class research staff by supporting recruiting, mentoring, and staff development;
- Provide advice to the Vice President and Director of Project AIR FORCE as part of the leadership team; and
- Continually demonstrate ethical behavior and a strong commitment to RAND’s core values of quality and objectivity.
The Program Director position carries 100% coverage and is a five-year renewable term with management approval.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Experience working directly with senior national security officials, with Air Force experience strongly preferred;
- A reputation for excellence in policy research and deep knowledge of the policy environment through experience in academia, government, or elsewhere;
- Evidence of excellent leadership and interpersonal skills, including a commitment to principles of diversity and inclusion; and
- A track record of organizational management success, including the ability to build client relationships and business and to maintain and manage a complex research program.
Master’s degree in relevant field is required; Ph.D. is strongly preferred.
Senior level researcher with 8+ years of relevant experience is required.