Description: The Regional Director, Clinical Operations is responsible for the delivery of clinical care and operations in a defined region within a service area. Acts as the strategic, administrative and operations leader for all managers and staff providing health care services in the medical centers within assigned region. Works collaboratively with designated medical staff leaders to ensure that standard work is fully implemented in the medical centers to optimize the patient's care and service experience while achieving clinical and financial performance goals. Leads and/or partners with an interdisciplinary team of medical/surgical/procedural specialties, ancillary services and business operations managers to assure the alignment and integration of services in the medical centers. Assures alignment with the organization's strategic initiatives and business plan.
- Provides leadership, support and overall financial management for clinical operations that reliably meet standards for: quality and appropriateness of patient care, clinical practice and documentation, patient safety, patient satisfaction and service, provider and staff engagement. Leads and supports integration and collaboration across all services within the region, to provide a positive patient experience and consistent delivery of patient care services by all clinical disciplines. Assures that performance targets are met by using effective tools that measure progress, identify countermeasures, and make the achievement of milestones visible. Develops budgets that meet established goals for affordability and practice efficiency. Manages total and unit costs using profit & loss statements. Develops and ensures implementation of associated staffing plans.
- Leads the implementation of complex change management and improvement efforts associated with access, service, clinical quality and safety, staff engagement, practice efficiency and affordability goals. Participates in initiatives that promote organizational alignment and improve organizational performance. Utilizes data and analytic information available when making decisions, conducting comparative analysis or otherwise evaluating impact, business alternatives or performance against targets.
- Under direction of Vice President, Clinic Operations & Market Integration, collaborates with contracted hospital leadership or other third party contractors in planning the delivery of clinical care, considering alternative types of clinical services, and assessing the consistency of programming. Participates in the development and implementation of short and long term strategic plans, including the start-up of new clinics, clinical programs, or contracted partnerships. Develops effective community relationships and represents Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington to the regional business community; identifies business development opportunities.
- Leads and supports a high-performing, collaborative management team for the region and medical center, including both direct and matrix relationships. Develops and nurtures management behaviors, systems and processes which enable highly functional managers and teams to engage providers and staff to achieve Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington's goals. Engages in effective performance management and coaching to support individual and team success. Assures effective assessment of the development, education and training needs of management and clinical staff, including orientation for each skill level and the provision of ongoing programs. Through collaboration with Clinical Excellence and Integration, identifies and supports training that includes but is not limited to: management development, outcome-based clinical management, clinical standards and tools, and clinical competencies.
- Ensures ongoing compliance to regulatory, accreditation, and institutional requirements. Administers clinical policy and procedure program within KFHPW by assuring consistent practice and providing regional oversight as needed. Oversees medical center management teams to maintain clinical standards and practice in accordance with all local, state and federal requirements. Assures that emergency preparedness and recovery plans for the region are current, and that managers and staff are trained and know what is expected during and after an emergency.
- Minimum ten (10) or more years of experience in a progressively responsible management role within a health care environment, to include demonstrated success in managing financial resources, identifying and meeting customer requirements, selecting and developing managers, and working effectively with medical staff.
- Master's degree in business, healthcare administration, nursing (MBA, MHA, MSN) or a related field preferred. Bachelor-s degreerequired with equivalent work experience.
License, Certification, Registration
- Demonstrated effective problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Proven negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent communication skills that are effective within a large, complex, diverse organization.
- Able to collaborate and be influential across structures and roles.
- Able to achieve regional goals while helping others to accomplish divisional/organization goals.
- Knowledge of health care delivery system operations, clinical care and services, and associated regulatory requirements.
- Knowledge of modern health care management in an integrated health care delivery system.
- Demonstrated skills in financial management.
- Ability to go beyond the numbers in determining a care delivery system's business practices, cost-reduction, and productivity strategies.
- Ability to select, develop, and direct effective managers including those in a matrix relationship, or on project teams.
- Record of positive relationships with providers, managers, and staff that strengthen engagement, quality, and service.
- Ability to manage projects and initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to constructively challenge established ways of doing things to lead improvement and change.
- Knowledge of business process and rapid cycle improvement, systems thinking, data analysis.