CIBC US Commercial Real Estate (CRE) is one of the most active direct balance sheet lenders of commercial real estate loans in the United States. US CRE has expertise in financing all asset types with an emphasis on office, retail, multifamily, industrial and hotel properties.
CRE’s “Institutional Real Estate” division (IRE) provides institutional clients with exceptional service through four regional offices: New York, Chicago, Newport Beach, and Dallas. Our clients include institutional investment management platforms/funds, national real estate operating companies and public real estate companies throughout North America.
The role of Director - Origination within IRE’s West Coast Region is to assist in the cultivation and management of new and existing client relationships with their strategic and daily needs by delivering best-in-class customer service while ensuring the team’s objectives related to growth, profitability and risk.
- Work closely with the Executive Director, West Coast Region to execute upon CRE’s growth strategy and financial objectives.
- Primarily responsible and accountable for supporting and managing the development of new and existing strategic relationships resulting in new credit and non-credit business generation within the IRE US West Coast Region.
- Serve as an internal client resource as it relates to relationship and credit needs. Work closely with clients to understand the breadth of their financial needs.
- Identify product/service opportunities for other business units and participate in development of creative solutions to client needs, coordinates presentations, and brings in partners when appropriate.
- Core focus on floating rate mortgages ranging in loan size from $25 to $250 million.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of strong relationships with key mortgage bankers, developers, investors and other sources commercial mortgage loan origination opportunities.
- Actively manage a pipeline of commercial real estate client opportunities including credit, treasury, and interest rate management.
- Prescreen and qualify loans prior to the underwriting and closing process.
- Interface with the underwriting and syndication teams to prepare credit presentations for credit committee approval and provide insight for portfolio reviews.
- Participate in presentations to credit committee.
- Collaborate with the underwriting team to support their portfolio management responsibilities and oversight.
- Work closely with internal and external legal counsel on legal issues arising from the management of the commercial real estate portfolio.
- Collaborate with CIBC’s treasury management team to ensure that our client’s depository needs are sufficiently achieved.
- Collaborate with CIBC’s interest rate management team to ensure that our client’s risk management needs are sufficiently achieved.
- Uphold active market presence within the community and industry associations with the purpose of promoting CIBC USA and cultivating potential prospects and referral sources.
Knowledge and Skills
- Minimum of 7 years of related commercial real estate business experience
- At least 5 years of commercial mortgage origination, underwriting or transaction experience
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Expertise in prudent structuring and underwriting of commercial real estate
- Excellent analytic, negotiation and technical skills
- Strong intellect/creative thinker
- Ability to disseminate oral and written information in a concise and thorough manner
- Collaborative personal/professional style that advances a collegial partnered approach to meeting corporate objectives
- Desire to actively market both CIBC and its products to potential clients
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and other technology platforms
- Advance degree / formal Credit Training preferred