Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Director, Real Estate is responsible for real estate operations and asset management activities across the National Network. The Director, Real Estate acts as Amtrak’s lead for all real estate transactions, including negotiating and managing real estate acquisitions, dispositions, and leases (both lessor and lessee) on or across Amtrak property within the National Network. Also administers all real estate agreements and provides real estate management and advisory services to meet the needs of other Amtrak departments.
- Act as Amtrak’s lead for all real estate transactions, including supervising negotiation, recommending approval of the business terms, and executing the acquisition and disposition of real property and real estate rights to support Amtrak’s operating requirements.
- Manage and enforce all real property agreements including lease administration/enforcement, real estate documentation/deed research, negotiating settlements and resolve property right disputes in order to protect Amtrak’s property rights and interests and ensure the most efficient and cost effective use of real property.
- Collaborate with Engineering and Operations to satisfy real estate requirements through site selection activities.
- Provide assistance to and work jointly with the Law Department in drafting legal documents and contract terms for all real estate transactions to ensure compliance with the transaction requirements and objectives.
- Provide real estate management and expert advisory services to the Law, Engineering and Operating Departments for the purposes of litigation, determining ownership obligations, and obtaining necessary access rights to maintain or expand railroad operations.
- Interface with other Amtrak departments, state and local government agencies and other organizations to resolve tax issues, code violations, claims cases, police and security matters, environmental issues, and rights and responsibilities related to Amtrak controlled real estate.
- Provide efficient and timely analysis of real estate acquisitions to support operating and capital requirements.
- Participate in negotiations between Amtrak and state and local government agencies, private developers, and freight and commuter railroads which involve the development, redevelopment, or improvement of Amtrak or other rail-related properties.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Demonstrated experience managing real estate assets.
- Demonstrated knowledge of real estate valuation and appraisal methods.
- Demonstrated experience negotiating and managing real estate transactions involving acquisitions, dispositions, leases, and easements.
- Demonstrated logical progression of management responsibilities.
- Advanced leadership and management skills with a proven ability to motivate others; effective writing, presentation, meeting, and interview facilitation skills; interpersonal communication; time management; and conflict resolution and investigation skills.
- Demonstrated experience communicating orally and in writing with the corporation and externally.
- Knowledge of commuter and freight operations and interface with Amtrak.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access).
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration or a related field.
- Transportation industry experience.
Education Requirements:Bachelors Degree
Travel Requirements:Up to 50%
Employment Experience Requirements:10 plus years of experience