This position is responsible for providing research and development leadership for a major technology component to GAF businesses (eg. Asphalt, shingles, single ply membranes). Recognized for successfully leading product development from ideation, through scale up, and to launch. The individual has an in-depth understanding of product development and champions processes designed to maximize launch success. Works on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth knowledge of the company and demonstrates business acumen. The individual will be expected to manage his or her resources, particularly the people resources in a manner that will result in maximum productivity while maintaining high morale resulting in a safe working environment.
The candidate must provide leadership in asphalt shingle manufacturing and design, and residential roofing ventilation. Responsible for developing technology and product plans, coordinating with internal and external partners, and providing focus and leadership to the area. This will include a strong emphasis on industry leading products which create high value for owners and contractors, anticipate industry and building trends, and create sustained advantages for GAF.
- Participates with other senior managers to establish strategic plans and objectives.
- Works on problems of diverse scope, including product/process development, product/process improvement, field issue resolution, manufacturing efficiencies, and outsourcing support.
- Expected to have innovative design advances for product and process development.
- Required to network, internally and externally, to acquire information for projects and identify future opportunities.
- Responsible for developing plans for budgeting, staffing and overall project planning. Will organize the lab to recognize talent and to position people for success.
- Will possess knowledge and experience in processes to identify new opportunities to provide the basis for technical projects; includes transformational and incremental advances.
- Will be capable of working with other business entities within GAF to promote new ideas and help them to translate these new ideas into product concepts.
- Will be comfortable in working with operations to assist them in both understanding and ultimately embracing new approaches to existing products and processes as well as totally new ones.
- Will be able to coordinate with other corporate functions including sales and marketing, purchasing, codes and others in order to ensure that all facets of product development are accomplished smoothly.
- Develops project schedules, incorporating key tactical items for other functional areas. Plans out in detail technical portions of all projects including operational pieces
- Regularly interacts with executives and/or major customers.
- Required to adapt to the audience and present technical information to a non-technical audience, and effectively present complex or conflicting information.
- Gains proficiency in the company’s scale up process from experiment, PTR, TDN, on to commercialization and RCN.
- Will utilize Phase-Gate process to manage R&D portfolio and mentor the use of appropriate project management tools to his team. Develops FFUs and translates into product specifications
- Will establish and implement a Technology Roadmap for the laboratory that aligns longer term development efforts with business goals.
- 10+ years of leadership experience in an R&D capacity
- Champion of safety.
- PhD in material science, mechanical engineering, chemistry or chemical engineering, preferred
- At least 5 years of experience in technical management.
- Experience in multiple industries and materials strongly preferred.
- A proven track record in initiating and managing innovation to achieve results.
- Expertise with project management techniques.
- Demonstrated history of successful product designs and the use of design thinking.
- Demonstrated ability to build a high performance technical team.
- Budgetary sensibilities in order to develop and aggressively manage the spending plan for the group.
- Provides leadership to establish laboratory direction and plans.
- Works at a high conceptual level providing novel approaches.
- Encourages a logical scientific approach to identify and initiate development projects.
- Approaches problems in an analytical way.
- Works well with others – utilizes all resources available to the fullest.
- Able to establish professional working networks both within the company and with outside entities.
- Ensures the accurate and timely documentation of all work.
- Communicates clearly too both senior management and to subordinates.
- Provides leadership by example regarding safe work practices.
- Completes assignments in a timely manner
- Track record of transformational products, preferred
- Ability to lead change and mentor technical staff
- Insight – history of identifying the problem that should be solved.
- Knowledge of product trends in the building product area particularly relating to sustainability, energy conservation, etc.
- Knowledge of technology and product road mapping.