Nemours is seeking a Director, Quality Safety and Operations Optimization to join our team in Orlando, Florida.
As one of the nation’s leading pediatric healthcare systems, Nemours is committed to providing all children with their best chance to grow up healthy. We offer integrated, family-centered care to more than 280,000 children each year in our pediatric hospitals, specialty clinics and primary care practices in Delaware, Florida, Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Nemours strives to ensure a healthier tomorrow for all children – even those who may never enter our doors – through our world-changing research, education and advocacy efforts. At Nemours, our Associates help us deliver on the promise we make to every family we have the privilege of serving: to treat their child as if they were our own.
Located in Orlando, Fla., Nemours Children’s Hospital is the newest addition to the Nemours integrated healthcare system. Our 100-bed pediatric hospital also features the area’s only 24-hour Emergency Department designed just for kids as well as outpatient pediatric clinics including several specialties previously unavailable in the region. A hospital designed by families for families, Nemours Children’s Hospital blends the healing power of nature with the latest in healthcare innovation to deliver world-class care to the children of Central Florida and beyond. In keeping with our goal of bringing Nemours care into the communities we serve, we also provide specialty outpatient care in several clinics located throughout the region.
Hospital operations lead to advance patient safety, clinical quality and operations efficiency. Reporting to the Hospital Chief Nursing Officer with matrix reporting to the Chief, Quality, Patient Safety and Clinical Analytics, the incumbent oversees clinical performance, patient safety and quality programs to meet established performance and outcome goals. Collaborates with all hospital department leaders to design, implement and advance safety and quality improvement initiatives. Leads efforts across the organization focusing on and advancing Continuous Improvement (LEAN), continuous learning, and supporting organizational vision and goals. In collaboration with department leaders, develops and oversees organizational work flow, structures and processes targeted to eliminate patient and associate harm associated with delivery of care at Nemours Children’s Hospital.
- In collaboration with the Chief, Quality, Patient Safety and Clinical Analytics Officer, establish and develop oversight processes for an integrated comprehensive quality and safety program that is informed by national quality and safety trends, applicable regulatory standards, patient safety science, and internal data/experience.
- Establish educational programs increasing system-level knowledge and skill attainment related to quality improvement, performance improvement, and safety science.
- Leads and administers operations efficiency initiatives to include labor optimization and hospital patient throughput improvement initiatives.
- Establishes strategies to ensure Child and family Experience are systematically embedded in all quality improvement, process improvement, clinical safety, and evidenced based practice projects and programs.
- Establishes, prepares and maintains ownership of processes providing accurate, meaningful, and timely data, Key Process Indicators and other measures informing internal and external stakeholders on key performance metrics benchmarked on recognized national standards.
- Ensures integration of Continuous Improvement (LEAN) principles and strategies in all operational areas.
- Collaborate with the Nemours Corporate Department of Quality and Safety for organizational-wide standardization of activity, sharing of learnings and functional integration.
- Accountable for and provides oversight to national collaborative associated with quality and safety activity with oversite for root cause analysis (RCA) Development of unit department based dashboards and oversite of action plans.
- Assist organization in identifying mechanisms to meet external regulations around quality of care service
- Coordinate and oversee external and internal reporting of Quality and Safety
- Champion and advance Continuous Improvement (LEAN) initiatives and advancement of high reliability operations (HRO).
- Assist for data collection, preparation and submission of hospital data for external collection and improvement efforts (eg. US News and World Report etc).
- Participate/collaborate with medication safety and other improvement initiative in the hospital setting as assigned.
- Embraces Nemours mission vision and values and role models Nemours Standards of Behaviors
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in a related field such as nursing, medical technology, business or healthcare management.
- Master's degree in a related field preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years of pediatric healthcare experience on a management level required, with a focus on quality, safety, regulatory, and accreditation preferred.
- Demonstrated experience and achievement in Performance Improvement and Quality Assurance, preferably in a healthcare provide setting.
- Experience in dealing with regulatory agencies.
- Experience in utilizing and teaching a variety of quality methodologies/models.
- Experience in the use of manipulation of databases.
- Experience with continuous improvement methodologies such as “Lean Concepts” preferred.
- Previous experience in a Pediatric hospital environment preferred.
- Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ) certification preferred.