The Director of Quality Assurance (QA) is responsible for building and leading a team supporting the functional area of software quality assurance (SQA). The incumbent leads QA analysts to cover all types of functional testing - manual, automated, and mobile. The candidate will work with other groups to continually increase the quality of American Public Education Inc. (APEI)products. The director of quality assurance will be responsible for building, standardizing, and scaling SQA methodologies consistent with strategic goals of APEI. This position requires a very thorough understanding of the holistic nature of software quality to provide strategic leadership and management to multidisciplinary groups contributing to customer satisfaction.
- Monitors individual team members’ skills and professional goals and conducts ongoing team performance management.
- Influences software development process and supporting tools to achieve desirable quality, efficiency, and agility as well as to reduce the risk of quality issues.
- Collaborates with business analysts to develop case/user story-based business analysis and integrate requirements management in to the overall QA process and thinking.
- Monitors risk-based functional and regression testing complying with time-to-market goals.
- Performs testing to prevent production issues and minimize cost of technical/customer support.
- Promotes a holistic SQA process to make ‘believers’ of all key process owners, cultivating engagement and buy-in both in business and IT teams.
- Develops and maintains quantitative metrics-based reporting for all major software development/maintenance projects.
- Tracks success of vendor and remote-team management.
- Maintains strong relationships with all APEI departments and other Information Technology (IT) technical teams.
- Provides domain knowledge support for systems.
- Oversees and implements testing best practices.
- Develops initial test plans for projects assigned to team, focusing on scope, risk, and initial sizing.
- Manages efforts to automate testing and ensures test plans and test cases are efficient; leverages available technologies.
- Develops and executes test plans and test cases as necessary; serves as an individual tester.
- Ensures quality of team generated testing artifacts, test plans, test cases, test schedules, etc.
- Ensures proper execution progress accounting and risk identification and/or mitigation.
- Defines, supports, and enforces QA standards and execution processes.
- Utilizes testing knowledge and experience to assess and advises on the practicality of testing process alternatives.
- Identifies improvements to the process and assists in implementation.
- Ensures that any risks associated with the agreed test strategy and the system test plan are clearly documented and described to the clients, end users, and colleagues.
- Manages risks associated with the testing and takes preventative action when any risks become unacceptable.
- Uses test management tools to organize and track test activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV.
- Broad knowledge of software test strategies.
- Strong management skills.
- Ability to guide test activities.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work outside the QA organization to encourage quality best practices.
- Ability to maximize productivity of the team to accomplish business goals.
Bachelor's degree or better in Computer Science or related field.
Master's degree or better.
Expert level knowledge of best practices with QA test planning and execution.
5 years:In a management role
7 years:Experience in Quality Assurance