This position is primarily responsible for: In large division with Department Head: Assists with managing Purchasing Department including routine daily management of staff. In small division with no Department Head: Manages Purchasing Department including routine daily management of staff. Under both scenarios, negotiates and contracts with material and labor suppliers and performs the following duties either personally or through subordinates.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversees flow of work for department by directing and coordinating with professional(s) and administrative staff.
- Generates preliminary budgets and establishes product features and options.
- Bids out onsite construction; negotiates subcontractor increases as appropriate.
- Negotiates and contracts with subcontractors and other vendors.
- Ensures timely and expedient processing/receipt of vendor/national contract rebates.
- Generates and circulates house budgets.
- Analyzes market and delivery conditions to determine present/future material availability and receipt of competitive pricing.
- Prepares and issues Purchase Orders and change notices.
- Reviews Purchase Order claims and contracts for conformance to Company policy.
- May find, investigate and hire subcontractors.
- May assist Construction Department with management of subcontractors.
- Prepares instructions regarding purchasing systems and procedures;
- Develops and installs administrative and office procedures and practices and studies work flow, sequence of operations and office arrangement to determine expediency of installing new or improved office machines or procedures.
- Arranges for disposal of surplus materials.
- Conducts periodic staff meetings; interviews and hires staff members; coaches and ensures staff receives appropriate training.
- Resolves problems with staff, subcontractors/vendors or other departments.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Manager.
Education & Experience
- Two years of experience in purchasing management required.
- Two year college degree in Engineering, Building Science or Construction Management preferred.
- Two years in homebuilding industry preferred.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent purchasing and negotiating skills.
- Excellent delegation and organization skills.
- Must be able to read blueprints.
- Should be proficient in computer skills (spreadsheet and word processing preferred) .
Technical Knowledge & Experience
- Extensive knowledge of budgeting for homebuilding required.
- Typical office environment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed. Additionally, an employee's job duties may change at any time, in the company's sole discretion.