Director, Public Relations & Communications
The Director of PR & Communications is responsible forseeking visibility for the organization through public relations and communicationcampaigns and earned media relations, partnering closely with our CEO, marketingcommunications and digital communications teams. The position will supportleaders in our field offices on local media relations efforts resulting infeatures highlighting the organization’s mission and income developmentprograms. He/She will build and manage relationships with media contacts forthe organization and lead efforts to communicate and uphold the organization’s reputation,brand and messaging tied to its mission for a wide variety of audiencesincluding, but not limited to, the public and private sector businesses, individualdonors, the healthcare community, related organizations and associations,partners, policymakers, and prospective partners interested in supporting ourmission. This position will reportdirectly to the Chief Marketing Office and serve as an internal accountrepresentative that works with key departments to outline and drivecomprehensive PR communication plans for various projects.
- Develop,implement, and manage strategic PR projects and initiatives in order to create relevant, contemporary brand experiences toattract and retain donors, corporate partners, major gifts, healthcare andmedia partners.
- Createcommunications and publicity materials including, but not limited to, pressreleases, pitch letters, organization statements and media alerts.
- Providestrategic public relations counsel to CEO and leaders in Income Development,Research, Healthcare Services and Advocacy.
- Proactivelyidentify, create, pitch and follow up on media opportunities for theorganization, and field media inquiries.
- Workin tandem with appropriate leadership to appropriately address and respond asnecessary to breaking news situations.
- Identifymedia trends, news cycles and relevant opportunities for visibilityopportunities tied to our programs.
- Establishand support compliance of nationwide branding, messaging and creative servicesguidelines, including managing the development of template promotionalmaterials for staff nationwide to localize and use.
- Createdaily media captures of relevant news including neurology research,pharmaceutical, income development and general human-interest stories.
- Provide communications programs and tools that thousands of staffand volunteers in 100+ offices across the U.S. use to capably tell our storyand promote our programs locally.
- Analyze,measure results of and report on communications and media projects.
- Secureand maintain media-vendor relationships and contracts.
- Identify, direct and manage outside vendors who providesupplementary resources and support.
- Manage the development of template materials that can be localizedby community-based staff as well as wide suite of promotional materials used byour staff nationwide.
- Perform additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Customer Service: Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service. Responds to requests for service and assistance. Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills: Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Oral/Written Communication: Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings. Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Organizational Support: Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time. Supports organization's goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Judgment: Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Professionalism: Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in communications, public relations, marketing, or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- Must have 12+ years’ experience with media, public relations and/or communications experience, ideally for a large organization with a widespread community presence, with demonstrated portfolio of proof of performance, i.e., media clips, media reports, strategic pitching materials, etc.
- Proven ability to cultivate and secure media in a variety of traditional and digital media outlets with proven skill in initiating and responding to media inquiries.
- Experience in supporting project and account management, including measuring results of strategic media plans and programs.
- Demonstrated track record in developing and implementing short and long-term media, comprehensive communications and public relations plans, and the ability to work effectively with senior management and partners.
- Experience in developing and leading communications initiatives different levels.
- Experiencehealthcare, corporate philanthropy, or human services preferred.
- Must possess highly evolved teamwork skills as well as strong time management skills.
- Excellent project management skills and client-centered orientation.
- Demonstrated ability to leverage new and emerging communications channels.
- Desire and ability to thrive in fast-paced, resource-constrained environment.
- Proficiency in with MS Office applications and Sharepoint.