$250K — $500K+*
Org. Setting and ReportingThe Director of the News and Media Division reports directly to the Under-Secretary-General (USG) for Global Communications and Head of the Department of Global Communications. The News and Media Division is responsible for strengthening support for the United Nations through multimedia content and news services.
ResponsibilitiesWithin delegated authority, the Director will be responsible for the following:
- Directs the News and Media Division of the Department of Global Communications (DGC), which includes News and Content, Coverage and Media Services, Digital and Web Services, as well as social media and multilingual assets.
- Contributes to the formulation of the Department’s overall strategies and policies by participating in various committees, preparing documents on policy issues, and acting, as required, in an advisory capacity to the USG; contribute to the overall management of the Department’s activities and operations.
- Provides leadership to the development of innovative and/or change management programmes.
- Ensures a strategic, solutions-focused approach to news coverage and multi-media content production with defined audiences and targeted distribution plans to achieve impact and global reach.
- Fosters interaction with external and UN system partners as well as with the press, broadcasters and other digital media to promote understanding of the Organization’s priorities and issues and expand distribution and reach of UN content.
- In line with the Global Communications Strategy for the UN, formulates and implements the substantive work programme of the Division under his/her supervision, determining priorities, and allocating resources for the completion of outputs and their timely delivery.
- Oversees all administrative matters and the management of activities undertaken by the Division, ensuring that programmed activities are carried out in a timely fashion and co-ordinates work in the different areas both within the Division and the Department, and with other organizations of the United Nations System, donors and agencies as appropriate.
- Oversees the recruitment of staff for the Division taking due account of geographical and gender balance and other institutional values.
- Ensures that the outputs produced by the Division meet required standards before completion to ensure they comply with relevant mandates, and that high-quality standards are maintained; and ensures that reports are clear, objective and based on comprehensive data.
- Manages, guides, develops and trains staff under his/her supervision; fosters teamwork and communication among staff in the Division and across Divisions and organizational boundaries.
- Co-ordinates and oversees the preparation of reports for presentation to intergovernmental bodies such as the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budget Questions, Committee for Programme Coordination, Economic and Social Council, the General Assembly and other policy-making organs, as appropriate.
- Chairs meetings, seminars, etc., on substantive-related issues; represents the Organization at international, regional, inter-agency meetings, seminars and conference; provides programmatic/substantive expertise on an issue, or holds programmatic/substantive and organizational discussions with representatives of other institutions.
- Perform other related duties as requested by the senior management of the Organization.
EducationAdvanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in journalism, international relations, communications, political science or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Work ExperienceOver fifteen years of progressively responsible experience in media (including press, digital, and television) and external communications, of which at least five years at the international level in a large multi-cultural institution is required.
Experience in managing a multi-platform communications operation is required.
Experience in management, administration, operations and budget preparation is required.
Experience in development and implementation of multilingual, digital communications strategies is desirable.
Experience in the UN Common System or similar international organization is desirable.
Valid through: 4/24/2021