Pfizer is seeking a Director, Public Affairs – Government Relations. This position will be located in Washington DC or any state in the South Region. The Director will develop & lead comprehensive public affairscampaigns for the South Region. Key responsibilities include creating and executing social/digital media & public affairscampaigns, advocacy engagement and providing proactive strategic, political counsel to the regional Vice President Government Relations. This position has responsibility for 9 states in the 18 state South region (Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Delaware, Washington DC, West Virginia, Maryland, Virginia, Alabama, Florida & Puerto Rico). This role requires 25-35% travel.
- Plan and execute political communication strategies in region.
- Drive state teams and regional public affairs firms’ execution of public affairscampaigns including tailoring earned media pitches, conducting media training of identified third-parties and targeting specific media channels (broadcast, print (news and opinion) and online) based on a sophisticated understanding of media market differentiation matched to political strategy.
- Lead social media & digital advocacy capability development and execution in South region as a key component of public affairscampaigns
- Conduct political/opposition research to analyze and create public affairs opportunities in region.
- Proactively monitor policy, advocacy and media landscape to develop policy communications and advocacy strategies.
- Leverage earned and social media to impact state and federal government officials, opinion leaders and third party organizations.
- Generate and execute strategic political communications in region to advance Pfizer interests with government, as both policy setter and customer.
- Develop policy communications materials for advocacy and public affairs impact.
- Assist government relations team efforts to build strategic alliances with government officials and advocates to shape state and federal political and public policy environment.
- Manage and drive performance of the region's public affairs firms.
- Collaborate with Pfizer Public Affairs Sr. Director to design and implement in-state programs in support of federal policy objectives and therapeutic area campaigns.
- Identify, develop, and manage relationships with key patient, provider, multicultural, business, think tanks, community, and civic organizations to align and mobilize in support of Pfizer preferred policies.
- Brief and engage key state-based and select national stakeholders based in the South region on Pfizer preferred commercial and legislative objectives.
- Develop innovative approaches and relations with state-based and select national ally groups and ensure all programs and grants are aligned with commercial and legislative priorities.
- Mentor, collaborate and help guide the work of Alliance Development Managers and field based advocacy consultants.
- Closely collaborate with the APR Director in the South to ensure alignment and leveraging of advocacy opportunities throughout the region to address state and federal policy and legislative priorities
- Collaborate with Pfizer Advocacy and Alliance Development Sr. Directors to design and implement in-state programs in support of federal policy objectives and therapeutic area campaigns.
- Generation of creative and strategic earned and digital media
- Development and execution of digital advocacy campaigns
- Meaningful engagement of alliances with government officials, opinion leaders, third party organizations, and other key stakeholders.
- Effective management of political public relations agencies and alliance development consultants.
Minimum Capability Requirements
- Level of Education: BA/BS required.
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience in government relations, public affairs, communications, healthcare, policy, advocacy relations, or equivalent.
- Minimum of three (3) years working in a political environment including leadership position on an issue based and/or candidatecampaign.
- Minimum three years experience in digital advocacy.
- Experience leading integrated state based advocacy & public affairscampaigns
- Leadership on political candidate and/or issue based campaigns.
- Ability to effectively communicate with multiple healthcare audiences, particularly physicians, patients and policy experts.
- Demonstrated ability to partner effectively with various stakeholders, both internally and externally.
- Ability to track and manage multiple issues across multiple states, effectively prioritize and adjust strategies mid-course, when necessary.
- Strong team player with experience working in cross-functional, matrix teams.
- Knowledge of political media, earned media, social media and communication vehicles.
- Ability to leverage social media for effective stakeholder influencer mapping.
- Strong understanding of policy environment.
- Evidence of strong track record focused on results.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.