The Director, Project Management works effectively across multiple divisions to direct the delivery of projects/programs within cost, time and quality requirements.
May provide direct supervision, support, training and mentoring to project managers. Works with leadership in all functional areas on the continuous development/improvement of business processes to support cross functional teams and to ensure that work is uniform, complete and managed appropriately. Serves as a liaison with Business Development and Bids/Contracts for the client presentations and proposal development. Assists in resource utilization, policy development, and implementation of goals.
This position may be responsible for directing and leading the activities of a therapeutic area within a Region and accountable for the P&L of a specific therapeutic area. Develops and drives the specific and overall therapeutic area strategies to ensure optimum performance and achievement of annual plans and targets. Has overall responsibility for instigating and leading change initiatives within the therapeutic area and works with peers of Therapeutic areas in the overall leadership of the Project Management group.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or licensed certified health care training or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated track record of success in clinical development (equivalent to 8 years) and in leading and developing professional staff in a project led environment
- Proven experience developing and managing the budgets and resources of a segment of the business
- Experience using project management software
- Valid Passport, where appropriate
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the individual with the required knowledge, skills and abilities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong financial acumen
- Excellent judgment and decision making skills
- Effective oral and written communication skills including the ability to communicate in English, both orally and in writing
- Excellent interpersonal skills and problem solving ability
- Effective organizational skills and negotiation skills
- Expert knowledge of project management principles and application
- Knowledge of budgeting, forecasting and resource management
- A relationship builder who is able to work effectively in matrix organizations
- Knowledge of regulatory guidelines and Directives
- Skilled in process improvement, especially as it applies to clinical trials, clinical development and project management
- Knowledge of medical therapeutic area and medical terminology
- Strong marketing and negotiation skills
- Computer skills
- Work is performed in an office and/or a clinical environment with exposure to electrical office equipment.
- Exposure to biological fluids with potential exposure to infectious organisms.
- Occasional drives to site locations, frequent domestic travel and rare international travel.
- Personal protective equipment required such as protective eyewear, garments and gloves.
- Exposure to fluctuating and/or extreme temperatures on rare occasions.
- Frequently vertical and /or stationary for 6-8 hours per day.
- Repetitive hand movement of both hands with the ability to make fast, simple, repeated movements of the fingers, hands, and wrists.
- Frequent mobility required.
- Frequent bending and twisting of upper body and neck.
- Light to moderate lifting and carrying (or otherwise moves) objects including luggage and laptop computer with a maximum lift of 15-20 lbs.
- Ability to access and use a variety of computer software developed both in-house and off-the-shelf.
- Ability to communicate moderately complex information and ideas so others will understand; with the ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Frequently interacts with others, relates sensitive information to diverse groups.
- Ability to apply basic principles to solve conceptual issues.
- Performs a wide range of variable tasks as dictated by variable demands and changing conditions with little predictability as to the occurrence. Ability to perform under stress. Ability to multi-task.
- Regular and consistent attendance.
- At PPD we value health and wellness, and encourage employees to engage in healthy and balanced activities
- Able to communicate, receive, and understand information and ideas with diverse groups of people.
- Able to work upright and stationary for typical working hours.
- Able to work in non-traditional work environments.
- Able to use and learn standard office equipment and technology.
- May have exposure to potentially hazardous elements typically found in healthcare or laboratory environments.
- This role requires independent travel up to 20%, inclusive of traveling in automobiles, airplanes, and trains.