The Director, Program Operations is the delivery assurance leader for all chartered projects within IT Business Solutions organizational scope, providing project management oversight and accountability for success of these projects. Charter both capital and non-capital projects and drive the identification and realization of business benefits. Coordinate with overall IT PMO and Transformation leadership when chartering new projects and plan/manage/deliver the project portfolio against the overall IT strategy. Direct project/program managers in use of project management practices and methodologies but will also be accountable for driving effective scope and resource planning, project tracking, identifying and managing program/project interdependencies, communications/reporting, and quality assurance. Results focused leadership to ensure projects and programs are planned, executed and launched on time, within budget, and with quality. Define, prioritize and plan initiatives necessary to evolve and improve the program management discipline. Act on behalf of the VP Business Solutions on managing project risks and issues. This position will also have dotted line reporting responsibilities with multiple project managers/teams within business solutions. Manages the relationships with Business Unit teams, ePMO and within IT to ensure successful project completion and program management.
How you will impact WestRock:
- Develop strategy for standardization, methods & procedures, budgets & operational planning for program initiatives.
- Collaborate with ePMO to develop a operational and execution plans - detailed project schedules, project estimates, resource plans, and status reports; track key project milestones and adjust project plans and/or resources to meet needs of business stakeholders
- Coordinate with IT Business Solutions Management to track progress and to maintain alignment with the plan. Enforce accountability down to all project teams and regularly monitor progress, lead and guide teams as necessary.
- Track the evolution of the projects and programs based on the approved timeline, scope and budget plan.
- Update the project and program trackers to validate operations in alignment with the outlined plans.
- Evaluate the impacts and risks of changes from multiple perspectives, assigns tasks that are necessary to reduce or eliminate those considerations, determines tentative implementation dates, and tracks results of the implementation
- Establish program controls to reduce risks and changing requirements, technologyinfrastructure, hardware or applications systems
- Communicate major milestones and identifies potential project risks; conducts regular status meetings to review program and project activities; manages prioritization procedures
- Build relationships with key stakeholders and program/project resources to drive key decisions and ensure timely project complete
- Confers with and advises subordinates on standards, priorities and methods
- Provide regular updates to senior management
What you need to succeed:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field. MBA preferred. Certification in Project Management (PMP) and/or Six SigmaBlack Belt is a plus.
- 10+ years of experience in related field including Business Operations, Program Management, Project Manager and/or Performance Excellence/Six Sigma. 3+ years of experience in IT is required. Experienced with a leadership role in establishing/developing/leading PMO (not just being part of a PMO)
- Thorough understanding of project/program management techniques and methods Demonstrated problem solving and analytical thinking skills. Track record that demonstrates practical application of PMBOK principles within an organization
- Direct work experience with It Strategic planning including systems implementation and optimization, operational process reviews, and technology assessments and creating technology roadmaps. Experienced in delivery assurance, risk management roles
- Ability to positively influence others without direct authority in efforts to move assigned projects forward.
- Ability to adapt to shifting priorities, demands and timelines. Ability to effectively coordinate multiple projects with interrelated teams and technology issues simultaneously within aggressive timelines
- Excellent change management skills. IT Assessment workshop planning and facilitation skills
- Ability to work efficiently within a matrix management organization.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project required
- Excellent interpersonal, Communication, presentation, and collaborative skills to work effectively with teams throughout organization
- Outstanding leadership and organizational skills required