Position at J2 Cloud Services
The Director Professional Services Engineering will lead a team of software developers delivering high-volume, flexible, and performant systems supporting the Professional Services systems for our best-in-breed solutions for enterprise and mission-critical fax and document exchange customers.
The Director Professional Services Engineering will lead a team of software developers delivering high-volume, flexible, and performant systems supporting Professional Services solutions for enterprise mission-critical fax and document exchange customers. The Director will manage the coding practices of the team, perform code reviews, mentor team members, and coordinate with Quality Assurance, Technical Project Management, and Product Management peers to deliver high-quality code that solves important business problems in a predictable and repeatable manner.
- Full responsibility for delivering solutions into production.
- Full responsibility for quality of code the team produces (either through personal review or thoughtful delegation).
- Responsible for training and mentoring developers on the team.
- Responsible for architectural decisions with consultation from other members of engineering leadership
- Daily coordination of development activities with Project Managers and other Developers.
- Assisting in the design and evolution of the company’s Professional Services software development process and ensuring your team’s compliance with those processes.
- Designing and developing new features based on product specifications.
- Troubleshooting production issues and providing configuration or coding changes to fix them.
- Refactoring existing code to improve efficiency, extensibility, and maintainability.
- Identifying and evaluating new techniques, tools, and technologies to expand the team’s capabilities.
- Reviewing test plans, test cases, and automated test scripts created by QA or other team members.
- Displays solid fiscal responsibility by managing and adhering to budgets and always seeking out operating efficiencies and economies.
- Works with Technical Project Management to create and maintain the prioritized backlog and schedule for the team.
- Demonstrates an inclusive, roll-up-your-sleeves work ethic by showing a willingness to participate in daily workloads when needed to make deadlines.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in software development, focusing on the use of Java, at least 3 years of which should be full-stack development
- Ideally, 2+ years professional development experience with Node.js in a web application context
- 4+ years of experience in leading Development Teams
- 2+ years working within Amazon Web Services or similar cloud systems for development and production applications, with an emphasis on automated build and deployment, high availability, and scale
- 2+ years professional experience creating automated unit tests in Java and/or Node.js
- Deep understanding of DevOps and Continuous Delivery Tools such as CodePipeline or Jenkins
- Proficient with Jira, Confluence, and git toolset
- Professional experience with at least one Java framework (e.g. Spring, Spring Boot, etc.), and preferably one or more Node.js frameworks (e.g., Express)
- Professional experience designing or maintaining an automated build pipeline including elements such as compilation, modularization, web packaging, minification, automated unit testing, etc.
- Understanding of software development life cycle methodologies (particularly Agile). Hands-on experience with Agile/Scrum & Waterfall process environments
- Leading initiatives where teams were comprised of onshore and offshore resources
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated experience successfully leading teams in a dynamic, fast time to market and customer focused environment.
- Consistently exhibits a personal accountability to outcomes to all team members, peers, and stakeholders.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to respond quickly in a fast-paced environment
- Able to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously in order to meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently and manage the team in Agile environment