Job Description Summary:
Responsible for the analysis and origination of new loan production within assigned markets Role consists of (1) reviewing new loan requests, quoting terms, issuance and negotiation of applications, preparation of approval documentation, and closing of loans (all with SD guidance); (2) frequent interaction with correspondents and regular travel to their markets; and (3) Responsible for a variety of tasks including, but not limited to, review of final loan submissions and appraisal(s), and preparation of loan workbook/scorecard/credit adjudication files.
• Independently identify and analyze mortgage loan opportunities provided by mortgage Loan Correspondents and make recommendations to the Production Officer and US Head of Mortgage Production.
• Analyze loan submission information, prepare loan recommendation and related documentation and submit for approval.
• Negotiate deal structure based upon analysis and identification of risks within the investment and recommending loan structures that meet Sun Life’s investment guidelines, with minimal supervision from the next level manager.
• Document loan approvals and prepare loan commitments.
• Negotiate loan provisions and documents with some assistance from Senior Director and Managing Director.
• Expedite closing of loan transactions by interfacing with legal staff, servicing group, mortgage loan correspondents and third party vendors.
• Establish and maintain relationships with mortgage loan correspondents and borrowers for the purpose of actively seeking prospective mortgage investment opportunities as well as research market trends.
• Monitor existing loanportfolio within assigned territories to identify trends and potential risk.
• In conjunction with Asset Management Staff and mortgage loan correspondent, review, analyze, recommend, and finalize requests from borrowers for changes to Loan Documents.
• Assist with the Annual Inspection process and Risk Rating process.
• Assist with various special projects as the need arises including taking some leadership responsibilities.
• Some training and mentoring of junior staff members within the Mortgage Production Team.
• May have direct reports consisting of junior staff within the Mortgage Production Team.
• Manage the Sun Life mortgage correspondents and make recommendations for any changes that may be needed.
• Bachelors DegreeRequired. MBA, CFA, or MAI preferred.
• 6-8years’ experience in commercial real estate analysis/valuationpreferred
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Advanced user knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and the Internet.
• Sound business acumen/decision making skills.
• Proven ability to analyze/solve problems.
• Strong marketing/negotiation skills.
• Ability to prioritize/multi-task.
• Collaborative approach to solving problems
• Proven real estate negotiation skills with sound knowledge of mortgage loan underwriting and/or appraisal techniques for all commercial property types.
• Strong knowledge of typical commercial loan documents, leasecontracts, property operating statements, financial statements, building condition reports and environmental assessments.
• Understanding of financial markets and their impact on commercial real estate
• Understanding of the Mortgage Correspondent System, including the services it provides.
• Ability to acquire information through third party resources (ie. CoStar, local market participants)
• Self-starter with ability to work independently.
• Highly motivated team player.
• Knowledge of commercial building construction.
• Appraisal courses or other industry courses.
• Ability to cultivate relationships within Sun Life’s Mortgage Loan Correspondent system, a network of independent contractors who are the exclusive sources of Sun Life’s mortgage business.
• Ability to travel approximately 20% of the time (average: 4-5 days/month)
• Willingness to be flexible in work schedule (outside of normal SLF business hours or taking advantage of a different time zone, i.e. Mountain Time or Pacific Time) in order to provide a consistent high level of service and/or meet critical deadlines, both internal and external. On occasion, this requires being able to accomplish a great deal in a short period of time which may require putting in whatever time is necessary to accomplish the goal at hand.
Sun Life Financial (U.S.) Services Company, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to Executive Order 11246, Section 4212 of the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, as amended, and Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. As such the company is committed to taking positive steps to implement the employment-related aspects of the company’s equal employment opportunity policy. It is the company’s policy to take affirmative action to employ, advance in employment, and otherwise treat qualified minorities, females, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities without regard to their race/ethnicity, sex, veteran status, or disability.
Pursuant to 41 CFR §§ 60-300.44(f)(1)(ii) and 741.44(f)(1)(ii), we hereby notify you of our company policy related to our affirmative action efforts and request appropriate action on your part.
Primary Location: US-MA-Wellesley
Employee Status: Regular-Full-time Ongoing