Director, Product Software Architecture and Eng
Equinix is one of the fastest growing data center companies, growing connectivity between clients worldwide. That’s why we're always looking for creative and forward-thinking people who can help us achieve our goal of global interconnection. With 200 data centers in over 24 countries spanning across 5 continents, we are home to the Cloud, supporting over 1000 Cloud and IT services companies that are directly engaged in technological innovation and development. We are passionate about further evolving the specific areas of software development, software and network architecture, network operations and complex cloud and application solutions.
At Equinix, we make the internet work faster, better, and more reliably. We hire talented people who thrive on solving hard problems and give them opportunities to hone new skills, try new approaches, and grow in new directions. Our culture is at the heart of our success and it’s our authentic, humble, gritty people who create The Magic of Equinix. We share a real passion for winning and put the customer at the center of everything we do.
Job Summary: As the leader of Automation Engineering team, you will own a global team of DevOps engineers focused on delivering the automation for infrastructure build, runtime tools environment build, deploy HA and DR topologies, scale-out for infrastructure, runtime tools and code-based software products and platform services. This team will leverage tools like Terraform, Terragrunt, Ansible, Kubernetes, Istio, Packer and programming languages like groovy scripts, Python and Java and others to deliver the required automation. Your team will also be responsible to evaluate new and upcoming runtime tools that may be required for the business needs of Equinix software products and platforms. Once chosen, you will also be responsible to lead the automation engineering team to build a system, deployment and data flow architecture and automation to deliver the highly available, performant and secure environments of these runtime tools.
- Build a global team of strong DevOps automation engineers, architect and managers to deliver on agility, elasticity and availability goals.
- Coach and mentor team members to meet objectives and key results, adhering to their responsibilities and milestones
- Be a thought leader in evolving automation to enable Equinix product development teams to deliver the products faster and with improved efficiency
- Act as an automation evangelist and deeply understand the SRE and product development teams to ensure they have all the things they need to be successful
- Gain industry recognition and credibility in your own right as a regular attendee, panelist and speaker at DevOps conferences and third-party technology conferences, ensuring clarity around priorities and goals for the entire functional area
- Work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment demonstrating teamwork, innovation and excellence
- Invest time in building & nurturing talent
- Inspire a culture of “can do” attitude
- Mentor architects and DevOps champions identified in SRE team and each product team to enable them to understand and follow the industry leading DevOps principles.
- Work with top DevOps product vendors and drive innovation in their products to enable Equinix to build the right automation platform.
- Enhance DevOps strategy and execution including tools selection and architecture for automation.
- Build strong alliances with the other automation and SRE leaders in the leading cloud provider (IaaS, PaaS and SaaS) to create a forum for exchanging the cutting-edge ideas on DevOps architecture and design.
- 5+ years professional experience in a software development leadership role 10 years of professional IT experience, including 4 years of DevOps leadership experience in a product or cloud (Iaas, PaaS, SaaS or edge computing) DevOps, SRE or automation engineering experience desired
- Bachelor's in Engineering preferred
- 5+ years of experience in coaching, mentoring and managing teams in a globally distributed environment
- Proven ability to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment demonstrating teamwork, innovation and excellence.
- Strong analytical skills & technical acumen along with knowledge of DevOps principles.
- Flexible and creative thinker with the ability to define business tradeoffs, generate out-of-the-box solutions and manage uncertainty.
- A high sense of ownership, passion, and conviction.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal and presentation skills and the proven ability to influence and communicate effectively.
- Problem-solving orientation. Team player, ability to see larger picture.
- Extensive knowledge of deployment orchestration and automation (Jenkins, Argo, Harness, Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Kubernetes, Istio or other Service Meshes etc.) preferred.
- AWS, GCP or Microsoft cloud certifications
- Strong DevOps and Cloud Automation knowledge
- Previous development experience
- Be a talent multiplier who gets the team around them to excel
- Be persistent, creative and driven to get results relentlessly
- Exhibit a strong backbone to challenge the status quo when needed