Director, Product Management, Service Provider Converged Infrastructure
NetApp's Converged Infrastructure Group (CIG) is a solutions engineering and product management organization with employees spanning the world. CIG takes the lead in driving solutions innovations by working across all NetApp’s product lines and engineering groups, professional services organization and partners to deliver architected, tested and documented cross-platform converged solutions that enable customers to realize value in the datacenter and cloud markets.
CIG is recruiting an experienced Director of Product Management to lead the Service Provider Converged Infrastructure (SP-CI) portfolio. The Director of Product Management will lead the lifecycle of various Converged Infrastructure solutions targeted at the Service Provider segment, from definition and go-to-market plans to short and long-term roadmap plans that touch all areas of NetApp’s business and our key partners, as a part of the company’s overall Hybrid Computing solutions development activities. The role includes leading the charge in driving our SP-CI key messaging to the NetApp field, partners and customer prospects, with a keen focus on assuring sales success for the solutions portfolio.
The Director of Product Management for SP Converged Infrastructure (SP-CI) will develop, own and manage the overall roadmap for the portfolio, whilst driving the underlying and specific solution and product development programs.
Aligned with the requirements of key leading Service Provider and Enterprise customers, the Director will take overall responsibility for driving the delivery of fully architected, tested and documented Cloud Infrastructure solutions that increase NetApp’s value to across all market segments (including Enterprise through our Service Provider partners), working with a distributed and highly matrixed team comprising Product, Program and Engineering Management from within the Converged Infrastructure Group, as well as a broad cross section of organizations from NetApp itself – including field, marketing, professional services, finance and legal – and key 3rd-party partners. Key to success will be the development and implementation of marketing strategies to respond to constantly changing and competitive environments which may include product positioning, pricing strategies, and managing overlap with similar but differentiated solutions.
This role, with responsibility for managing the efforts of a matrixed team of Product Managers, Architects, Program Managers and TechnicalMarketing Engineers, requires a proven track record of solutions leadership and collaboration capabilities together with a deep understanding of technologies and architectures related to virtualized data center infrastructures (with depth in data management and storage-related technologies), data center interconnect and data center security. Ultimately, a strong understanding of NetApp's Product and Service offerings, relationship management skills, and experiencemarketing in a high-technology, dynamic environment will be crucial to success.
As the SP-CI portfolio leader and a subject matter expert in the SP domain, the Director of Product Management will utilize their strong product marketing background and related experience to positively contribute to the department's goals and vision. The Director will be expected to have their finger on the pulse of the industry, predicting, identifying and following technology trends through a combination of live events, conferences and social media, in addition to actively participating in engaging prospects and analysts. Being able to anticipate likely future market demand and needs, and address them through solutions development and roadmap planning, will be critical.
The visibility for this role is significant both outside and inside NetApp and will require a candidate who can build and hold strong relations within the NetApp Customer/Partner community and can regularly engage with senior NetApp executives. The Director will be passionate about their mission/portfolio and the addressable market opportunity, and be able to drive storytelling that seamlessly weaves in both business and technical elements..
Job RequirementsEssential Functions:
As the Director of Product Management for Service Provider Converged Infrastructure (SP-CI), you will be driving a dynamic and highly matrixed team that delivers value to the NetApp organization and supports sales and revenue generation goals. You will be responsible for, and work with the SP-CI team to:
• Drive the development of the business case(s) for solutions portfolio investment and any new feature development requests in the Engineering groups and 3rd-parties. Be responsible for the success of the solution portfolio in the market and track the solution’s bookings, customer satisfaction ratings and other key related metrics.
• Coalesce the team to develop the solutions portfolio go-to-marketrequirements and the roadmap, engaging Engineering, Marketing and other stakeholders to agree on development priorities and link product level features to cross-platform architectural solution concepts and innovations. Establish, enhance or distinguish product placement within the competitive arena.
• Develop business plans and solution portfolio positioning in the marketplace including leading the team to develop pricing strategies, product specifications (Product Requirements Documents), catalogues, sell-sheets, training aids, web presence and promotional events.
• Lead development of marketing programs in collaboration with sales, sales support, product development and other cross-functional teams to ensure continuity in product offerings. Help create lead generation programs to support sales growth, and develop, implement and communicate product promotions. Ensure on-going management of the product marketing programs, contracts and agreements.
• Assess and communicate effectively the market conditions, customer decision drivers and the solution’s competitive dynamics when applied to complex architectural issues. Identify possible mismatches between current directions and future market changes and highlight general business indicators, including market share, and competitor's marketing and sales program activities
• Become a "Trusted Advisor" to lead customers for the solutions you develop and manage at NetApp, and foster to the team to do the same. Success will be measured by establishing relationships at the customer for the purposes of driving requirements and becoming a go to person for NetApp Account leadership, sales leaders and channel partners.
• Drive the team to provide assistance to NetApp account teams, Professional Services and Channel Partners in their response to customer issued written RFIs, RFPs and RFQs, inserting proper messaging for NetApp’s solutions strategy. Ensure that proper business positioning, solution representation and marketing messaging is applied to the response, ensuring proper alignment of the overall solution and its associated NetApp and 3rd party components is established.
• Establish self as a thought leader for the SP-CI solution portfolio, evangelizing the roadmap/vision as well as its value both internally and externally for NetApp by contributing to industry articles, authoring white-papers and presenting at conferences/NetApp Insight.
• Establish self as a trusted collaborator within NetApp by having an open and engaging collaboration style and encouraging feedback on the portfolio under management. Lead virtual team efforts, partner across organizational boundaries and influence NetApp product platforms and go-to-market directions.
• Identify competitive threats and market direction changes which may affect future solution plans, the portfolio and the roadmap. Efforts will assist NetApp product groups and 3rd parties with better solution and customer alignment. Competitive research efforts will also support account team sales efforts, aiding in solution and product positioning.
• Provide mentorship and support to Product Managers in the department.
Education and Experience:
• Minimum of 15+ years of progressively expanding responsibilities leading product management or technicaldesign in converged systems (or related disciplines), incorporating Storage, Compute, Networking, Security and Management domains.
• Minimum of 7 years of experience specifically in the Service Provider market segment as a Product Manager supporting cross-infrastructure domain solutions, a field-based solutions consulting principle, business development manager or sales solutioning manager. Some prior relevant marketingexperience is a significant advantage.
• An excellent understanding of global Cloud (Public, Private and Hybrid) and Converged Infrastructure market drivers and requirements – with a focus on solutions – as well as a broad understanding of storage, compute, networking, security, management and application technologies.
• Extensive experience in presenting to field teams and industry forums, and a demonstrated ability to engage customers and Account Teams in qualifying Cloud solutions, architectures and requirements.
• Proven experience working with customers, channel partners and industry thought leaders towards developing a clear view of a forward product roadmap.
• Excellent analytical skills and the ability to work both independently and lead cross functional teams.
• Strong ability to build relationships with both internal and partner leadership at all levels, along with effective interpersonal, presentation and communication skills.
• A proven track record of success in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with multiple competing and often conflicting priorities; ability to make tough trade off decisions as well as communicate those decisions both upward and downward throughout the organization.
• An advanced degree in electronic engineering, computer science or mathematics. An MBA would be advantageous.