Join us as we work to create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
The Director of Product Management is responsible for leadership and ownership of a group of product areas within the overarching Product's portfolio. This includes working closely with Service Line leaders, key customers, and client organization staff to understand their product vision. You will lead a team of direct/indirect reports to successfully understand and respond to trends in the marketplace that impact future vision and roadmaps for your product portfolio; groom actionable backlogs of user stories for the Engineering team; and assist Product Management leadership in driving overall growth and effectiveness across the entire product's scope.
This specific role is for the Director of Product Management for the Practice Management Zone within Collector. The zone includes practice front desk workflows, ownership of a patient's demographic information, practice configurations and enrollments, reporting and contract management. The leader in this area will be key to drive the satisfaction of newly onboarded customers and the C-suite of our clients. We need a leader who can envision the future of practice management for our practice, continue to build a team to achieve that vision, and build the partnerships and close collaborations across athenahealth to make the vision a reality.Responsibilities include but are not limited to:Act as Voice of Customer to Help Prioritize Product Vision
- Act as primary voice of product decisions within the organization bringing market and competitive insights; understand what's next and when to stay the course
- Ability to manage through ambiguous situations and drive clarity for the business problems we need to solve.
- Articulate the product vision leveraging insights and feedback from both clients and internal partners and building cohesion and teamwork to ensure everybody moves to execute together
- Represent the customer; responsible for end-to-end customer journey and touchpoints
- Outcome focused definition of new products inclusive of software, knowledge, service and any other factors required to deliver value
- Strongly driven by data and client feedback and focused on delivering in frequent, iterative value add steps rather than big-bang, multi-release waterfall; able to make calls even if the data is not perfect
- Set high level priorities for the zone and ensure POs within the zone are effectively prioritizing their and their teams' work
- Develop and achieve annual product roadmap with clear accompanying Objectives and Key Results (OKRs)
- Experienced Product Launch decisions; including the management of all alpha/beta feedback and when to push aggressively and when to hold back and iterate
- Support priority client needs and help resolve product related prospect & client escalations
- Collaborate with clients and across functions and peers within athenahealth to ensure we are all optimizing for what's best for athenahealth and its customers overall
- Work to resolve issues by coordinating and influencing internal and external stakeholders as necessary
- Make critical business decisions including pricing and build vs. buy
- Own, maintain and update the service description with changes to products and engage with legal, compliance, finance, procurement and other support functions as necessary.
- Provide partnership and perspective to Product Marketing leaders that help elevate communications to customers and prospects
- Determine strategies for knowledge-sharing between Product Management partners (including key clients, Sales, Account Management, Service Teams, etc.)
- Accountable for the portfolio and product strategy through creation of product roadmaps
- Ability to lead with and without authority
- Lead, inspire, and develop a team of athenistas, modeling effective relationship building, ensuring high employee engagement and managing staff career progression
- Contribute to workforce planning, staffing/forecasting of resource requirements, continually assessing and optimizing team structure as well as processes, policies and procedures to ensure the efficiency and effectiveness direct/indirect reports
- Manage Team of Direct/Indirect Reports:
- Set expectations of direct reports and indirect reports
- Responsible for selecting, hiring, and maintaining direct reports; and acting as key decision maker for indirect report hiring
- Set and monitor annual performance goals & objectives, including responsibility for performance feedback and appraisals
- Responsible for development of direct reports, by identifying training needs and providing training and/or development opportunities
- Responsible for disciplinary authority of direct reports; recommends or initiates personnel action for both direct and indirect reports
Education, Experience, & Skills Required
- Help lead and define Collector's culture and support the growth of all Collector product managers'.
Behaviors & Abilities Required
- Bachelor's Degree required; Degree (Bachelor's or Masters) in Computer Science, Business, or Product Design preferred
- Understanding of healthcare / health IT environment preferred
- 10+ years relevant product management experience
- Technical understanding (mobile, SaaS, data) - ability to gut check technical feasibility and timelines and remove technical development barriers
- Experience bringing products to market
- Understanding of product management best practices, including agile development environments; Agile certification a plus
- Demonstrated success at driving innovation in a dynamic environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience leading teams and managing direct reports
About athenahealthHere's our vision:
- Passion for improving healthcare, with empathy for the user of our products and services
- Ability to understand customer experience and impact of user interface design
- Can comfortably manage enterprise client communications and understands how they work and think; can craft approaches that are effective for important external stakeholders.
- Sees ahead clearly, can coach and influence others to anticipate future consequences and product trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective, and is future oriented.
- Ability to make sound product design decisions based on internal (business) and external (customer) requirements
- Drives results - translates the overall objectives of the organization into actionable, quantitative plans and demonstrates an ability to overcome obstacles to delivery successfully
- Appreciation for the software development process and the varying personalities in the cross-functional groups we work with
- Ability to whiteboard strategy discussions with directs, help directs understand and own the overall strategic direction as well as executable plan to push out to broader teams
- Travel required, predicting 5-15%; time may vary and will include client site visits, conferences, trade shows, Sales and Marketing events, and training
To create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all. What's unique about our locations?
From an historic, 19th century arsenal to a converted, landmark power plant, all of athenahealth's offices were carefully chosen to represent our innovative spirit and promote the most positive and productive work environment for our teams. Our 10 offices across the United States and India - plus numerous remote employees - all work to modernize the healthcare experience, together. Our company culture might be our best feature.
We don't take ourselves too seriously. But our work? That's another story. athenahealth develops and implements products and services that support US healthcare: It's our chance to create healthier futures for ourselves, for our family and friends, for everyone.
Our vibrant and talentedemployees - or athenistas, as we call ourselves - spark the innovation and passion needed to accomplish our goal. We continue to expand our workforce with amazing people who bring diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives at every level, and foster an environment where everyathenistafeels comfortable bringing their best selves to work.
Our size makes a difference, too: We are small enough that your individual contributions will stand out - but large enough to grow your career with our resources and established business stability.
Giving back is integral to our culture. Our athenaGives platform strives to support food security, expand access to high-quality healthcare for all, and support STEM education to develop providers and technologists who will provide access to high-quality healthcare for all in the future. As part of the evolution of athenahealth's Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) program, we've selected nonprofit partners that align with our purpose and let us foster long-term partnerships for charitable giving, employee volunteerism, insight sharing, collaboration, and cross-team engagement. What can we do for you?
Along with health and financial benefits, athenistas enjoy perks specific to each location, including commuter support, employee assistance programs, tuition assistance, employee resource groups, and collaborativeworkspaces- some offices even welcome dogs.
In addition to our traditional benefits and perks, we sponsor events throughout the year, including book clubs, external speakers, and hackathons. And we provide athenistas with a company culture based on learning, the support of an engaged team, and an inclusive environment where all employees are valued.
We also encourage a better work-life balance for athenistas with our flexibility. While we know in-office collaboration is critical to our vision, we recognize that not all work needs to be done within an office environment,full-time. With consistent communication and digital collaboration tools, athenahealthenablesemployees to find a balance that feels fulfilling and productive for each individual situation.