Based in Miami, FL the Director of Product Engineering will drive consistency, quality and alignment across our front-end development teams along all digital touch points for the Guest and employee experience. This includes setting/maintaining standard processes for front end developers as well as creating and maintaining shared code libraries and tools so that development teams are working efficiently and effectively from the same baseline. This also includes integrating efforts and processes with the various platforms, software architects and IT teams to enable a collaborative and nimble process.
The ideal candidate will have a healthy understanding of giant corporate IT machinery but a skillful approach to staying nimble and focused on making. The role will provide leadership over the discipline of front end development/engineering across web, iOS and Android and will be responsible for defining and maintaining development UI toolkits and other tools to help drive quality and consistency across all teams.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
At a high-level, responsibilities for this role will include:
- Shared Code & Modular Components: Responsible for ensuring development teams are working from a central repository of common components and modules where possible to streamline production and ensure consistency and quality across multiple teams. This includes ensuring development teams working on web, iOS and Android all have similar processes and toolkits in place.
- Consistent Approach: Ensures developers across multiple product teams are all working in the same manner and with the same processes so that the entire group has the same set of expectations, operations, success metrics and philosophy.
- Nimble yet integrated: While collaborating with the IT organization, software architects and all the various platforms and systems this role ensures our front end developers are operating in a manner conducive to rapid iterations and releases that constantly push the upper limits of innovation, quality and performance for our Guests
- Personnel management: Responsible for all aspects of personnel management (e.g., hiring, training and development, etc.) of the her/his direct reports and overall team
- Internal thought leadership: As the principle leader for the product engineering discipline within the digital organization it will be important to educate, define, explain and in general share with partners across the entire organization how and why the way we approach front end engineering for digital products is not only following best practices in the industry but pushing beyond that to ensure everything we build is of the highest quality and in the most efficient manner.
- Minimum 10 years in engineering/developer role(s)
- Bachelor’s degreerequired, with a MS/MBA or other relevant advanced degreepreferred
- Significant experience managing the quality of code development across diverse teams and locations
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
The ideal candidate will possess a combination of technology and leadership skills at the enterprise level. This role requires that the candidate have a proven track record of leading development projects through complex organizations with legacy technology and aggressive goals.
Product & delivery depth:
- Deep knowledge and extensive track record in leading technology teams in the development of Web and mobile solutions, with a deep understanding of how to get consumer-centric solutions to market with a high degree of success
- Deep knowledge of digital technologies, with an eye toward the continual change in consumer technology, including but not limited to wearables, screen-less UI, artificially intelligent bots and voice recognition
- Experience leading engineering teams through a software development lifecycle that leverages agile principles, yet recognizes constraints necessary in an environment that has both antiquated systems and a construction lifecycle with a long lead time
- Ability to effectively provide technology leadership across a large and diverse delivery system, that spans product definition, design and engineering across front-end UI, services and back-end systems
- Exceptional verbal and written communication and project/program leadership skills, including the ability to communicate effectively at the senior most executive levels of a company
- Proven ability to collaborate with and achieve actionable results through others, plus the ability to build strong and sustainable relationships, and the capability to interact with all levels of the organization
- Ability to grasp the complexities of the business, Guest and employee and effectively translate that into a strategy that drives measurable results
- Ability to think strategically and drive ideas into action, with a positive outlook and willingness to take personal initiative