As Director of Product Development, you will oversee development managers and work with cross-functional teams to build and deliver high quality software for laboratories and hospitals. You will utilize your management, engineering, and knowledge to help drive the strategic vision, innovation and execution of our products in order to exceed the department and company's business objectives.
A successful candidate will have a real passion for leading others, as well as quality software, customer satisfaction, and working in a matrix organization. This person will need a positive attitude, persistence, and a strong ability to communicate professionally and persuasively with both internal and external clients.
- Works with development managers to oversee the development of strategic products and ensure resource availability, the use of appropriate technology, upholding of quality standards, and on-time delivery of software releases.
- Challenges the product development teams to ensure that the appropriate strategic, technical and tactical solutions are being implemented.
- Involved in project intake triaging relating to additional requests and initiatives to determine the impact, prioritization and need.
- Ensure that activities comply with departmental development methodologies as well as regulatory and quality standards nationally and internationally.
- Develops and utilizes supporting metrics to show status, drive decisions, and identify risk.
- Works with internal partners as well as clients and vendors to coordinate, facilitate and resolve issues relating to products in development as well as those in use.
- Builds and nurtures teamwork and open discussion with global development partners.
- Facilitates communication upward and across teams to identify and resolve blocking issues.
- Works with managers to develop goals, plans, and problem-solving strategies and provides direct reports ongoing development, feedback, and coaching.
- All other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong leadership and people skills including effective delegation of responsibilities.
- Strong planning skills to determine and meet departmental and company objectives by being creative, open minded and results driven.
- Understanding software development methodologies and industry accepted software quality standards.
- Ability to work and communicate with clients and other departments in an effective, positive, and team spirited manner.
- Skillful at organizing, prioritizing and making and executing decisions.
- Resourcefulness and ability to take the initiative in development and completion of work projects.
- Ability to participate in, as well as promote, a team environment both nationally and internationally.
Training and Experience
- B.S. Degree in Computer Science, Information Science, Software Engineering, related discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 10 years of software development experience with proven success at leading or managing major projects and meeting deliverable deadlines at measurable levels of quality.
- Minimum of 5 years in a leadership role.
- Demonstrated ability to manage, coach, and develop managers and staff.
- Excellent understanding of the business applications deployed in both large and small enterprise healthcare organizations and capable of applying unrelated knowledge to the healthcare industry.
Physical requirements (any specific physical attributes or limiting factors to be accounted for)
Work is performed in a normal office setting with minimal exposure to health or safety hazards; substantial time is spent working on a computer. No special physical demands required. Travel may be required.