The Director of Product Development is responsible for leading the R&D team charged with developing and commercializing new products through the Stage Gate process. The role will work closely with marketing, consumer insights, engineering, project management, and the operations teams as product concepts move from concept to shelf. Plays a lead role in the mentoring, development, coaching and advancement of the Product R&D team.
This role reports to the Director of R&D. Green Thumb is growing fast, and as our Director of Product Development, you will be tasked with not only supporting product development, but the continuous improvement of the product development process structure, data management and experimental design.
The role will also assist with the development of functional strategies in conjunction with the development of budgets, policies and procedures. A track record of product development within a proven CPG structure is required. Demonstrated expertise in a variety of CPG concepts, practices, platforms and procedures to support and deliver projects is a must.
- Prioritizes development work and requests to best serve the needs of the business.
- Plays the lead role in mentoring, coaching and developing product development R&D staff. Leadership is as important as technical acumen. A servant leader.
- Able to support troubleshooting field operations needs to resolve manufacturing issues.
- Implements and advances testing and basic research for new products and improvement of existing products.
- Accountable for the development of comprehensive SOPs, formulation spreadsheets, onsite inventories, traceability and tracking logs, etc.
- Coordinates with R&D team and key cross-functional teams to ensure timely decision-making in cases of deviations from standards and procedures.
- Supports, implements and maintains technical documentation of all phases of research and development.
- Manages the effective implementation of new systems or upgrades, including appropriate training for end-users.
- Leads key projects with research and development to support business goals and assesses the scope of research projects and ensures they are on time and meet the requirements of the R&D director.
- Orchestrates the timely completion of all program steps, driving excellence in execution through leadership, commitment, and stakeholder management, accountable for on-time, on-budget delivery.
- Maintains ongoing awareness and knowledge of R&D priorities and goals to ensure a proactive approach to application choice and development.
- Engages with cannabis and CPG current events to support recommendations and development of new products. Able to strategically build a pipeline with cross functional team.
- Manages team progress against established plans.
- Leads coordination of resource allocation with teams.
- Develops product development roadmap and associated activities.
- Leads product development initiatives in stage gate process.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in science or business (or equivalent).
- 5+ years of leadership experience.
- Research and development or engineering experience in a CPG setting.
- Proven track record in accomplishing significant and impactful business results.
- Demonstrated high level of leadership, relationship management, and communication skills; ability to work effectively with global teams.
- Broad and deep understanding of a variety of technical platforms.
- Ability to be a technical and strategic thought leader as well as a hands-on implementer.
- Must be detail oriented with superior organizational skills.
- Must be able to multi-task and produce results.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with coworkers and management.
- Familiarity with FDA and OSHA regulations.
- Understanding & adhering to applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations as they pertain to the industry, safety regulations, local municipal codes and organizational rules, regulations, directives and standard operating procedures.
- Active driver’s license or State ID card.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age.
- Must pass all required background checks.
- Must pass any and all required background checks.
- Must be and remain compliant with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry.
- Must be and remain compliant with all legal & company regulations for working in the industry.
- Must be approved by the D.O.A. to receive & maintain an Agent badge.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to perform grasping, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
- Able to travel as needed for product start-up and production site support.
- Physical demands – May be required to stand and/or walk for extended periods of time. Must be able to lift, carry and balance up to 50 pounds (200 pounds with assistance).