The Director of Product Development is responsible for leading the organization in new product development, enhancement and redesign specifically for new builds, ship revitalizations and new land concepts. Evaluates the potential and practicality of products in development, based on market research, customer insights, and competitive analysis; and relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. The position will work across the New Building, Marketing Insights & Analytics, Revenue Management, Legal, Sales and Operations functions to develop new products that meet customer needs globally, with a heavy emphasis on North America and China.
Based in Miami, FL and reporting to the Associate Vice President or Vice President of Product Development, the Director requires the ability to lead and build teams that ideate and deliver quality products for our guests, by both fostering and demonstrating a culture of data-driven and vacation experience focused product thinking, innovation and execution.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the Product Development team in China and North America plus a team of outside experts/consultants. The team will consist of senior professionals aligned across projects for newbuilds, existing ships, and land opportunities.
- Provide leadership on the process and facilitate design and decision making for new concepts across the key stakeholders which are Newbuild & Design and Operations.
- Lead and set the strategy, direction, and process for product development of all new concepts globally with an aim to meeting our future customer needs while maximizing the return on investment of the asset and source market.
- Works with the Product Strategy, Product Innovation and Marketing Insights and Analytics team to determines customers' needs and desires by specifying the research needed to obtain market, customer and competitive information.
- Oversee the execution and implementation of creative briefs.
- Develops the nature and scope of present and future venues and experiences based on applicable research, competitive analysis, product specifications and requirements.
- Take the lead in developing new partnerships focused on opening up new marketing channels and enhancing our guest experience
- Leads the team that will create concept playbooks and concept training materials to launch new concepts and experiences for the brand.
- Develops and implements methods and procedures for monitoring projects, ensuring co-dependencies with yard and construction contracts are managed effectively across the organization.
- Determines product pricing by utilizing market research data; reviewing production and sales costs, and anticipating volume.
- Oversees the completion of all operational requirements for each venue and activity to ensure it is easily executed and operated by our onboard team.
Education, Experience, Knowledge & Skills:
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to collaborate in a dynamic environment
- Strong analytical skills, ability to quickly synthesize data, identify implications and implement change
- Process orientation; demonstrated ability to develop repeatable processes or improve existing process in and out of creative/product/concept development
- Excellent leadership and people management skills. Ability to coach, mentor and lead teams across a diverse set of objectives and initiatives
- Great Team Player & Communicator ¿ experience working in collaborative environments leading cross-functional teams. Must be comfortable working in an environment where ideas are shared and challenged.
- Project management skills. Will have demonstrated the ability to push projects over the finish line with sound planning and persistent execution. Will understand how to align resources, seek the input of key constituents and manage others to achieve desired results.
- Upbeat, naturally positive outlook and demeanor. Energy and enthusiasm a must. Candidate must find the work ¿fun¿ and enjoy being accountable and willing to hold others accountable.
- Significant business, product development, and marketing experience
- Experience within travel and hospitality a plus
- A Bachelor¿s degree in Business or Marketing is required
- 20-40% travel required. Increases when projects are ramping up and when they are being handed over
It is the policy of the Company to ensure equal employment and promotion opportunity to qualified candidates without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, sexuality, gender identity or expression, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law. RCL and each of its subsidiaries prohibit and will not tolerate discrimination or harassment.