What we’re looking for:
This role is at the top of the leadership pyramid for a newer job family that enables the outcomes of our technology teams, who build solutions that enable our Supply Chain and Post-Order capabilities. Wayfair focuses hard on building unique digital products that enable the outcomes for our business, managing each piece of our value chain to extract the most impact from “rolling our own.” This translates into being a true technology company -- where our commitment to our own software gives us a competitive advantage as we move into a scale few other commerce companies can match.
As the leader for the analytics function in our space (and a member of our leadership staff), you’ll work with a 900+ organization of different disciplines to bring analytical and experimental maturity to the organization. You’ll do this through a team of over 50 analysts, who focus on the generation of insights, the setting of goals and success targets, influencing product roadmaps, and measuring impact. The right leader can thread this needle by understanding deeply the needs of their customers and partners, the needs of our growing business, and guide their team to solve the right problems and generate meaningful outcomes. This leader will own the craft of Product Analytics in this space, the value the team creates, and their continuous improvement as we march towards $50 and $100bn in revenue.
What You’ll Do:
- Establish the Product Analytics function within this domain (think: “Head of Analytics”): we’ve gotten by with the skin of our teeth and now are ready to formally add analytics to the DNA of our product and engineering teams.
- Hire, nurture, and manage a group of over 50 analysts and leaders that supports the work of over 100 squads (we call them pods) across a dense and complex landscape of both internal and external products.
- Own and develop the strategic analytics agenda across multiple lines of business to unlock insights and guide the business and technology roadmap (everything from identifying, testing and, optimizing new features to contributing to a broader strategic direction that is grounded in data evidence and heavy analytical rigor).
- Prioritize resources, hiring, and team topologies across multiple areas to balance the short-term needs with the needs of longer-term initiatives.
- Build the capability for us to apply new analytical methodologies and techniques to the space, instrumenting the experiences correctly, reporting on key product KPIs, drawing correlation (and mapping MECE trees) between input/output metrics and business outcomes, designing experiments (when appropriate), measuring new feature adoption and user behaviors, driving quantitative investigations (key driver analysis, feature modeling), and modeling our impact.
- Lead on developing and expanding best practices in areas such as structuring analyses, dashboard design and data visualizations to communicate meaningful metrics to different audiences within the business.
- Engage with, influence, and partner with senior leadership across the company to contribute to strategic agenda.
What You’ll Need:
- Manager-doer: you’ll be building a team from scratch, which means you’ll need to be willing to roll up your sleeves and help get the team off the ground.
- Experience at scale: Wayfair processes over 70 million orders a year from 15 million customers as a two-sided managed marketplace. What works today literally will not work tomorrow and you’ll need to thrive within these constraints.
- Champion: You’ll be standing up a new pillar for how our teams work and establishing a new type of role that contributes to our cross-functional technology teams. You’ll need to champion the techniques, the value, and the work of your team to help us transform the working models.
- Influence without Authority: The right leader will thrive at influencing without authority, coaching their team, and capable of taking deep analytical insights and tying them to effective framing to align and drive high quality decisions -- both within our product teams and across the larger business.
- Owner Mindset: You’ll own experimentation and instrumentation for a larger portion of our ecosystem at all points in a “features” lifecycle: tagging/eventing & instrumentation, testing, and performance analysis. While we have created this capabilities in different parts of our team, you’ll need to own your space, team, and techniques to deliver meaningful value.
- Raw Horsepower: While you’ll be leading a team of experts, you’ll need to have both the analytical horsepower and the skills to leverage industry-best technologies to derive analytical insight (e.g., everything from SQL through Python/R to dashboarding like Tableau and Looker).
- A track record of results and experience commensurate with the size and complexity of our team.
- 10+ years of experience in heavily analytical roles, ideally with “product” analytics at their core.
- A mix of success in both lean entrepreneurial environments and scaled, complex, organizations you can leverage.