The Director of ED Process Improvement is responsible for the successful implementation of assigned Performance Improvement projects as defined and prioritized by Division and PI leadership. This position plays a key role in division and facility Emergency Department process improvement projects by performing operational assessments and analyses, researching, and identifying/implementing best practices, facilitating groups and teams, managing projects, presenting results and recommendations, and developing measurement tools, to improve HCA operating processes toward greater efficiency and effectiveness. This individual will work directly with division and facility representatives to collaborate and deliver timely and value added assessments, action plans, and results that improve ED operations. This position is critical in achieving targeted objectives in selected ED departments through process, cost and productivity improvements. This position serves as resource/member of the PI division team in the completion of a minimum of 2 traditional facility Performance Improvement engagements on an annual basis.
- Assist facility leaders to implement best practices within the ED department and identify clinical improvement and cost-savings initiatives.
- Assess cost-reduction opportunities including:
- Appropriate administration and management of ED department
- Assess skill mix opportunities, agency nurse usage, and staffing for ED
- Identifies facility wide staffing and process opportunities that impact ED throughput
- Supply, medication, and resource utilization
- Appropriate assignment of patients being admitted to the facility and use of clinical pathways, pre-printed order sets, and triage care etc.
- Contracts impacted by the emergency department.
- On call physician panel reviews and proper utilization.
- Supply chain optimization and contract buying for specialty units
- Analyzes all aspects of Emergency Services performance for potential improvement opportunities.
- Designs and recommends processes, systems, procedures, and operational changes to increase efficiency and effectiveness.
- Assists in the establishment of operational work measurements and staffing standards. Serves as resource/member of the PI division team in the completion of a minimum of 2 traditional facility Performance Improvement engagements on an annual basis.
- Performs monitoring of throughput metrics and analysis of variances.
- Perform data mining and review of financial and clinical data to assess the ED for operational and financial opportunities.
- Use extracted data to quantify the financial impact of ED related cost saving ideas.
- Assist in designing meaningful and realistic action plans for the implementation of process improvement ideas.
- Actively communicate with facility, division, and corporate stakeholders to manage the project expectations and activities.
- Develop, execute, and maintain project work plans for each current project and work directly with the department local leadership and the core team directors.
- Serves as a facilitator, technical advisor, and analyst to hospital management and teams on the use of process improvement tools and techniques, analytical techniques, and statistical applications.
- Actively participates in projects and conversations with Emergency Services-focused peers in other divisions via corporate support structure and contributes to enterprise knowledge bank.
- Support bed management or other improvement efforts adjacent to operations of Emergency Services
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Master’s degree preferred. Relative work experience and/or certifications may substitute
- 7+ years professional experience; 4-6 years relevant work experience
- Must be proficient in written and verbal skill
- Experience within healthcare operations preferred
- Division based, travel required, % based on division geographic locations