The role of Director of Operations is a technical leader role. Our client is a highly complex operation and a strong technical back ground is a must. A strong engineering or operations mindset is required to address the complexity, including: labor plan, inbound operation, space management, stow, pick, pack, equipment maintenance and reliability, outbound operation, yard management, transportation and logistics, automation, safety, quality, associate engagement, S&OP, productivity, and peak planning and execution.
This role will also lead a large team of non-union people and be responsible to: develop and lead, inspire, invent, create culture, foster production and drive low turnover.
This position is an extraordinarily complex leadership role, requiring an executive to balance flawless daily execution with the long term development of a team. The role requires a detailed understanding and ability to balance every operational component of a facility from employee needs to IT, from process technology to process improvement. A successful executive will be able to provide strong vision and direction for the team while fostering bottoms up input and participation in process improvement from all levels of the organization.
This position will manage facilities that can be over a million square feet with 750 to 3000 full time hourly and salaried employees.
In the first year, you will be asked to:
- Balance mentoring and developing new leaders while achieving customer and cost metrics
- Successfully leverage Lean/Six Sigma tools and concepts to drive process improvement and associate engagement
- Drive the quality of individual standard work to ensure critical quality and safety steps are being followed at every point of the fulfillment process
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Bachelor's degree in engineering, technical field, Math. MBA or Advanced Degree strongly preferred
The ideal candidate has:
- The ability to lead and execute through Lean/Six Sigma, and to then proceed to influence peers to adopt these best practices throughout the organization
- Successful history of continually implementing improvement initiatives, specifically Lean/Six Sigma practices, in a plant or distribution environment
- Customer--focused attitude to improving throughput by leveraging critical support staff (finance, HR, tech) to achieve more and more efficient processes
- Strong analytical approach to problem-solving with a metrics-driven focus on frugality without sacrificing safety or customer satisfaction
- Constantly thinks outside the box; lead others to success and drive change to influence others in order to achieve results
- Effective management of an operation comprising both salaried and hourly staff of at least 250; the ability to effectively teach, lead and manage within all areas of the operation and coach staff beyond current potential
- Demonstrated ability to successfully develop others into higher levels of leadership in an organization