The Pharmacy Department is open 24 hours a day and is staffed with approximately 130 employees, including pharmacists, technicians, a medication safety coordinator, inventory control specialists, and an administrative coordinator. The entire pharmacy team works together to assure patients receive the highest quality pharmaceutical care possible. From our central pharmacy and 6 satellite pharmacy locations, we dispense 15,000 doses of medication daily. Through Cerner Millennium CPOE and Pharmacy management system, the Pharmacy processes more than 10,000 orders per day. Pyxis dispensing cabinets help distributes 90% of the medications for administration. The Pharmacy department manages a $55 million dollar drug budget. Lexicomp serves as the system drug information reference.
The Director of Pharmacy executes and participates in the developing of the pharmacy strategic and clinical business plans. Provides oversight to several inpatient and outpatient Pharmacies with in the Central Florida Division-South (CFD-S). Directs the overall operation of the Pharmacy and assures compliance and overall safe medication management with all State and Federal laws and agency regulations and standards. Actively participates in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
Knowledge, Skills, Education, & Experience Required:
- Strong organization skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Effective oral and written communication skills, with the ability to articulate complex information in understandable terms to all levels of staff
- Effective computer skills, particularly Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to work in a matrix-management environment to achieve organizational goals
- BS in Pharmacy if earned prior to 2003, or PharmD
- Three (3) years’ experience of Pharmacy leadership
- Five (5) years’ Pharmacy experience
- Residency Program - PGY1 or equivalent experience
- Residency Program - PGY2 (preferred)
Licensure, Certification, or Registration Required:
- State of Florida licensure of Pharmacist
Demonstrates through behavior Florida Hospital’s Core Values of Integrity, Compassion, Balance, Excellence, Stewardship and Teamwork as outlined in the organization’s Performance Excellence Program
- Provides oversight of some of the FH hospital campus and staff.
- Accountable for financial performance up to a multimillion budget & expenses and staff management across assigned campuses.
- Collaborates with cross-functional leaders on optimization in medication use and processes.
- Designs, establishes, and maintains an organizational structure, policies, and staffing to effectively accomplish the organization's goals and objectives; recruits, trains, supervises, and evaluates staff region wide.
- Develops and maintains annual budgets for the organization and performs periodic cost and productivity analyses.
- Assists with preparation of an annual budget and manages assigned budgets and financial resources including stewardship, cost control, and restriction/surveillance programs.
- Schedule and Labor Management
- Develops standards of performance to maximize staff roles in accordance with licensure.
- Manages, monitors, and evaluates staff performance in assigned pharmacy areas to ensure accuracy and quality of services, completion of all tasks, and mitigation and correction of deficiencies.
- Maintains positive relations acting as liaison to ensure collaboration across multiple disciplines.
- Exercises independent decision-making processes to identify, plan, and execute goals.
- Monitors and reports usage of staff overtime, time and attendance deviations, and staff sick calls.
- Plans and implements a QI program which complies with accreditation statutes.
- Serves as a clinical consultant in the facility for pharmacy based concerns.
- Develops and enforces policies and procedures and applicable laws and regulations.
- Ensures the security of all DEA (controlled) medications within the pharmacy and facility.
- Ensures compliance with regulations related to medications purchases.
- Ensures adequate inventory of needed pharmaceuticals and OTC’s
- Ensures appropriate “med files”, formularies, reports, and patient records electronically and/or through hard copy.
- Oversees the acquisition and disbursement of drugs and medications to various floors, clinics, and other sites.
- Prepares, reviews and presents quarterly statistical and financialreports. Develops plan of action to address any problems.
- Ensures all personnel follows established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives, continuous quality improvement objectives, and safety, environmental, and/or infection control standards.
- Maintains a sustained record of contribution to the total body of knowledge in pharmacy practice through internal/external presentations, publications, formal review for a peer-reviewed medical or pharmacy journal, and/or professional organization service.
- Maintains a high professional profile and active membership in state and national pharmacy professional organizations (e.g. Florida Society of Health-System Pharmacists, American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, etc.)
- Performs other duties as assigned or directed to ensure the smooth operation of the department.
Job ID: 267448