GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Perioperative Materials Management is responsible for all materials and implants used for surgical cases, in an environment that is dynamic and dependent on high reliability. Materials Management resides within Central Sterile Processing & Supply (CSPS), and the Director partners with the Director, Sterile Processing Department to achieve the organization’s needs.
Reporting jointly to the Sr. Administrative Director of Finance and the Perioperative Services Clinical Director, this role is responsible for overseeing the Materials Management function at the highest level. Drawing on a deep understanding of departmental practices and procedures and their interface with the operating rooms and broader hospital needs, the Director develops comprehensive departmental strategies and policies, systems, and procedures that address the fiscal control, planning, organizing, and execution of daily work and change initiatives.
Independently and under guidance from the senior Perioperative leadership team, evaluates and upgrades services and priorities for the department. Directly oversees management staff and works closely with them to provide quality and timely services and to achieve department initiatives. Works closely and proactively with Department and hospital leadership to support patient care and supply services.
Works collaboratively on projects and committees to implement Department specific, MGH wide, and Partners initiatives, and acts as a liaison for those needing contact and assistance within Materials Management. Assist with the development of the annual operating and capital budgets for Perioperative Services. Champion the work of Materials Management and its staff and its successes.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Provides broad and general oversight to the Materials Management services provided to the institution. Identifies department goals and objectives (short and long term) in conjunction with Department Leadership. Establishes and monitors services to meet specified and general needs in support of patient care and the operations of the hospital.
· Evaluates Materials services and works closely with department management to proactively identify, pursue and resolve discrepancies in service requirements. Actively seek ongoing feedback from customers on quality of service.
· Works with department management to establish and maintain appropriate staffing levels. Ensures staff training has been conducted to prepare employees for proper performance of their jobs; ensures ongoing training and education efforts are made and are successful.
· Develops, directs and enforces department policy and procedure; provides documentation of same directly or through staff as designated. Communicates and ensures adherence to hospital policies and procedures.
· Establishes computer system requirements for operational areas, including receiving, tracking and stocking of supplies. Ensures system supports the reporting and administrative needs of the department and ensures integration with hospital networks and operating system as appropriate.
· Develops and directs quality control measures and system to guarantee efficiency and optimal delivery of services.
· Collaborates with others in the Department and the institution on routine operational issues and on special projects. Serves as liaison within the institution and across Partners for Perioperative Materials Management. Works cooperatively with management members and other at the Affiliates in the pursuit of integrated Materials services across the Partners network.
· Manages introduction of new products, product consolidations, and product retirements to the department in a systematic, timely, and transparent manner.
· Manages space allocation and structures the physical aspects of the department for maximum operational efficiency. Through the direction of department management, provides proper work and material flow.
· Partners with SPD management to meld materials-related operations with the needs of the daily case pick process.
· Oversees the physical plant elements and issues at the department level. Works with Environment of Care team, Building and Grounds and Environmental Services to provide and maintain proper, secure and safe work sites. Works with Security, Safety and others in pursuit of these goals.
· Directly or through department management, guarantees proper and sufficient equipment is available within the department. Works with vendors as needed to support equipment needs.
· Works closely with areas supporting Materials, such as Purchasing and Contracts, to facilitate the Materials services provided to the institution; will work with staff from these areas to support incoming product request and may investigate purchase request and contract content to resolves issues.
· Works with Department management, nursing and Sterile Processing Department to define service levels and standards of quality across Perioperative Services. Directs customer service programs as initiated by and carried out within Materials Management.
· Creates and maintains positive relationships with Department, Nursing, PHS, affiliates and other key personnel.
· Participates in or leads committees in areas that include cost savings, service, vendor management and operations.
· Develops and routinely reports on key performance indicators related to department performance.
· Identifies additional areas for service within the Department/ institution and conducts outreach to assess viability and approachability. Markets Materials Management services in response.
· Provides an effective communications program within the department to inform and educate management and staff on the information related to Materials Management, policies, procedures and other pertinent hospital information.
· Works with vendors to address product or delivery request and issues. Establishes working relationships with vendor personnel to facilitate service requirements and resolve service gaps.
· Assists in the preparation of the operating and capital budgets for Perioperative Services. Works with Department Management to obtain approval for the budgets and to resolve any subsequent issues throughout the fiscal year.
· Provides ongoing oversight and monitoring of department expenses; reviews fiscal reports to identify discrepancies and works to maintain a balanced budget. Routinely conducts analyses and provides reports as needed.
· Interact with departmental financial analyst staff, generating ideas for analysis and providing content expertise.
· Identifies and implements cost savings in operations, products and services with-out sacrificing patient care, quality and service of the department.
· Approves all expense requests, including temporary and regular staffing.
· Oversees charge posting function, as members of the Materials Management team handle daily charge posting. Director is ultimately responsible for timely processing of charges and elevation of any charge-related issues to the nursing and/or general administrative team.
· Staffs the department with the appropriate management personnel to support and achieve departmental goals and objectives. Oversees the management and non-management staff. Trains and evaluates management members; works with them to improve performance and applies corrective action when needed.
· Reviews personnel operations, department plans, projects and systems to ensure that resources and structures are sufficient to effectively accomplish goals. Makes recommendations and changes to proposals to meet broad department and hospital objectives.
· Oversees and serves as the contact person for administrative record keeping requirements as related to Joint Commission, OSHA, Department of Public Health, AATB, and other governmental agencies; performs the same for hospital reporting.
· Conducts routine staff meetings with management personnel and periodic staff meetings with the complete staff of the department. Represents Perioperative Services Materials Management at the various hospital and Partners leadership meetings.
· Conducts special projects and prepares reports for the department or as part of hospital or Partners initiatives.
· Works with Human Resources in the administration of employment, compensation, performance appraisal, corrective action, promotion, training and termination. Works further with the Representative to interpret and administer policy, develop and communicated actions, respond to unique needs and circumstances, and establish and evaluate employee and training programs.
· Manage vendor access to MGH operating rooms, through use of Vendormate system for MGH Perioperative Services. Process approvals in a timely manner. Provide vigilance for appropriate vendor behavior and escalate issues to leadership if necessary.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY (authority to hire, promote, or terminate):
Direct: 1-3 managers
Indirect: Up to 25 FTE’s
· Manages the salary budget for MM staff.
· Play a critical role in the ongoing management of the Department’s non-salary budget. Have command of changes that are underway and their potential impact to departmental expenses.
· Position is full time, day shift.
· Office is located at MGH with other members of Perioperative Services Materials Management and CSPS Staff
· Office environment with frequent travel to patient care areas.
· Position requires ability to travel to Partners corporate headquarters.
· Must be able to occasionally work non-standard hours, such as early mornings, evenings and weekends.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
· Excellent interpersonal and communications skills to effectively work with clinicians and support staff.
· Ability to provide support, direction, and development to staff.
· Analytical abilities necessary to organize, supervise, and evaluate the work of others
· Effective team builder, leader, and participant.
· Offer ongoing positivity and determination to drive necessary changes.
· Ability to manage frequent stress due to critical issues, changing organizational climate, and personnel issues.
· Ability to manage multiple projects in varying stages of development.
· Ability to see the big picture as well as day-to-day issues
· Ability to organize time and priorities effectively, asking for direction when appropriate. Flexibility to handle multiple tasks and deadline pressures.
· Innovative, superior organizational skills and the ability to work well with individuals at all levels within the institution and the network.
· Ability to be resourceful, take initiative, and exercise strong judgment and problem solving skills.
· Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
· Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters discreetly and to ensure confidentiality guidelines are maintained by staff.
· Strong understanding and applied use of Microsoft Office applications, personal computers, database function and design, and network concepts.
Familiarity with medical terminology
Bachelors' degree required: Masters' degree preferred
Required: 5-10 years in a materials or supply chain environment, preferably healthcare-related..